SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fishing galaxies! What a fun!

Piero

I enjoyed reading your journey...It was a great night here as well. I had another look at two faint groups around ngc 4055 and ngc 4095. These are like fainter versions of the richer parts of the Virgo cluster.

Have you tried ngc 4565 in Coma? It would be worth a go in that 60mm scope. I have certainly seen it at low power in 80mm binoculars. It's the BEST edge on galaxy in the universe....maybe...

Mark

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

I enjoyed reading your journey...It was a great night here as well. I had another look at two faint groups around ngc 4055 and ngc 4095. These are like fainter versions of the richer parts of the Virgo cluster.

Have you tried ngc 4565 in Coma? It would be worth a go in that 60mm scope. I have certainly seen it at low power in 80mm binoculars. It's the BEST edge on galaxy in the universe....maybe...

Mark

Thanks Mark! :)

Interesting to now. So NGC4055 and NGC4095 would appear in your telescope as faint as the the brightest Messier galaxies in Virgo would appear in my telescope? 

I was in the area of NGC4565 tonight and planned to spot that target, but I lost position. As it was the last target of the night and star hopping in Coma Berenices requires some care, I decided to postpone it to another night. Certainly worth trying it though. 

I got M64 though:

Piero

The galaxies in these two groups are all mag 14. They all required averted vision but are relatively easy to pick out. I suspect therefore that they are a bit like your description of M95 in your TV.

Mark

Coming to the show awful late here, but well done on an epic session!  (Been so much Astro going on of late, it's hard to keep up with everyone's activities!).  I also just ventured into the M95/96 area for the first time and was smiling how nice it is to pick them off one by one so easily as they are conveniently bunched together :) 

Keep up the great work, it's a joy to read the reports! 

Kevin

Archived