SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trying to find 12V 100W linear power supply

Hello,

Trying to buy a linear regulated power supply to supply - 12Vdc, rated at around 100W. I am having trouble with my switched mode supply so am trying to run my rig off a linear supply. Was looking for something around £100 or less. But struggling to find anything.

Thanks

Alistair.

Hi,

Well it did buy it off ebay - see uploaded pic - so I am unsure of make - unless it is 'H'. I feed the output in to a distribution panel, that has 6 'things' (Camera, Focuser, Mount, Dew Band, USB HUB + something else I can't remember). All fairly low current draw, less than 4A each I would say. So the supply has enough grunt (1000W). I am having issues with the Camera running from this though, seems to 'glitch'. Trying with a linear supply seemed to be more successful.

Thanks

Alistair

IMG_1616.PNG

Have to admit I struggle with the 13.8V rating that is commonly given on fixed voltage supplies. I want 12V, but it seems 13.8V is the norm. Why power something rated at 12V at 13.8V ? - I know the circuits will take it, but I don't particularly want to run the risk.

I would be more concerned running at 12v than 13.8v. some things struggle if voltage isn't quite high enough. We concider our cars to have 12v components yet all car batteries are 13.8v

12 minutes ago, AlistairW said:

Have to admit I struggle with the 13.8V rating that is commonly given on fixed voltage supplies. I want 12V, but it seems 13.8V is the norm. Why power something rated at 12V at 13.8V ? - I know the circuits will take it, but I don't particularly want to run the risk.

If you are really  concerned, the one I use thats linked by blinky has a variable voltage supply. I run it at 13.8v :)

Archived