Narrowband

M51 - Finally got picture!

After a few headaches trying to get the new camera to work with DSS I finally got  to process the data from the other night. 25 subs at 4mins, ISO 800. 15 darks, 20 flats and 40 bias. Followed Doug's tutorials which I found very helpful. The image is still noisy and I'm thinking ill be trying dithering next to help with this. Considering Gradient Xterminator as well.......any recommends?

M51 Tiff Eos 600.jpg

Nice image! Have you got the Hasta La Vista Green (HLVG) plugin for PS? That's probably worth a try as well, to get rid of any green tinges in the image. I think the main thing is to get longer subs to get more detail and try dithering as you say. I've just started dithering and need to experiment with stacking my subs WITHOUT any darks as many people recommend doing that as they find DSLR noise isn't necessarily well compensated for by using dark frames. I worked on M51 the other night and got a similar number of frames but with 8 minute exposures with a modded 100D and the extra sub-length does help bring out the colour and detail more....if only I had gotten better focus! :-)

Great image though and a great target!

I've just tried longer and longer subs with various targets. I tried M51 last year and use 2 minute subs and the results were disappointing. So, a year later, with guiding I thought I would have another go. 8 minutes is the longest I have gone on any target and the final image is a bit noisy - although it looks worse when you crop it - M51 is tiny on my DSLR sensor!

How much time do you leave between subs? I've been trying to leave 20 seconds or so, plus dithering to try and keep the temperature down - although I suspect that doesn't help that much when you are running 8 minute subs for 3 hours!

Archived