SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lodestar X2 settings

I've just acquired a Lodestar X2 mono guide camera.  I installed the ASCOM drivers and tried to get it connected with PHD.  On the configuration screen, I was faced with this monster:

lodestar.jpg

When first opened it had 'Wait for Cooldown before exposure' - which cannot be correct since the Lodestar is not cooled.  It also had 'M26C 2x2 color binning' ticked - which also cannot be correct since this is a mono camera.  I've no idea what a lot of the other boxes mean/do.  Can anyone tell me what should be ticked/unticked for using the Lodestar x2 mono as a guide camera please :help2: (I think it may have had Gaussian blur' ticked too!!)

I am getting images in PHD2 but want to have the thing running optimally....

I must admit never seen that control screen! I use Maxim, would guess that fixed binning could be set at 2x2 as that suites the Loadstar for fast images. Don't think anything else needs to be set. But only guessing.

Be interested in exactly what is needed.

Derek

Yes the chap I got the camera from suggested 2x2 binning.  But what about 'Interlaced Adjustments' and 'Square Lodestar Pixels'?  "Jings, Crivens, Help ma Boab" as 'Pa Broon' used to say. 

Loadstar does not have square pixels, almost but not quite. Does not seem to affect the tracking at all. It is not an interlaced output either from what I remember, so don't need that either. I have been using both the Original and the x2 for a while and never altered any of that as I have never seen it. So I expect it is really for other cameras. Sure someone more knowledgeable than me will along shortly.

Note can use 3x3 binning as well.

Derek

39 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Ah! It is interlaced. Sorry. Never had to look at that. But there again never had any guiding problems with the camera so no need too. It just works.

Derek

I think you just got lucky with the default settings. PHD2 automatically sets the camera to 1x1 binning with no provision to change to 2x2 in the "Brain" settings for the camera. The suggested driver puts the 2x2 binning capability back in & increases the sensitivity of the camera to the level we all love.

Never got PHD2 to work. Always used version 1. But I set the binning in Maxim DL. Maybe that's why. I don't use PHD anymore as I use an Active Optics (Starlight Xpress) with Maxim now. As you say probably just luck. PHD v1 allways just worked.

Derek

8 hours ago, pyrasanth said:

Hi gnomus,

Read this thread from start to finish & download the suggested driver. It works a treat & it has all the info you need.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/516470-guidestars-color-brightness-and-number/page-4

Glad the camera arrived safely.

Thanks Mark.  Jings, some ill tempered stuff there - the things people find to fall out about!

I already have the driver (see my original post).  There were two images of suggested settings that were slightly different from each other:

SX-ASCOM.jpgascomcrop.jpg

Sorry that second one isn't very clear - I upscaled it as best I could.

It looks like there is agreement about binning and about Gaussian blur.  So the remaining questions are: Do I need 'Equalize frames' and 'Square Lodestar Pixels' ticked?  I still fail to see why 'Wait for Cooldown...' is ticked in the second image.

Steve

Hi Gnomus,

You are right about the bad feelings shown on that forum. Can't see why, as astronomers we are all supposed to be enjoying our hobby. We are either right or wrong, if right great,  if wrong just admit it as we are partially here to learn from each other and our discussions. Reading through this forum I learn new stuff each day, exactly what I want. Not everything we read is correct but at least it is discussed and gives us a chance to try out different ideas if wanted. Be nice to find out all the real/correct answers to your questions.

Thank goodness that SGL is such a very friendly forum.

Derek

Hi Steve,

My testing with the Lodestars with PHD2 has shown it to be problematic- even with the new Ultrastar. I sometimes get a completely white camera view. I know its software because when I connect in the SkyX it works as normal so I'm going back to the earlier version of PHD for general guiding. I only need PHD2 for the new Focuslock but I will take up the issue with Optec & see if there is a fix. I did not set other settings in the interface only 2x2 binning & it all worked fine other than the occasional camera view whiteout. I found a fix for this- just run the installer over the top again so it might be a PHD2 corruption issue somewhere.

I have not read the thread, but see which forum it is linked to.  This is not the first time I have heard similar reports about that forum and I joined once for a short while.  I think they are all up their own backsides and I am not into that, which is why I am here.

Carole

Archived