SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first DSO

Starflyer

M57 from last night, with my Skywatcher 130PM and modded SPC900NC at prime focus. 31 subs of 15 seconds with 5 darks, stacked in DSS with some fumbling around in Paint Shop Pro :?

I would appreciate it if someone could have a tinker with it and give me some guidance with the processing.

6684_normal.jpeg

Ian

If it's a quick fix for the background your after and have Photoshop then use the levels tool. Move the grey pointer to the left which will increase the contrast/brightness of the image and show the extent of the troublesome area. Then select the left hand 'eyedropper' move and click on that area. This will darken the sky but you will also lose stars that are of the same shade. Return to the grey pointer and slowly move it to the left again till the missing stars start to reappear. If required you can then use the dodge tool set on 'highlights' to pass over the stars to restore luminescence.

Hope that helps and here's one I did earlier as they say. :grin:

Nice image of the Ring by the way,which shows up better against a darker and even background.

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone :lol:

Thanks Tony, what did you do to get the colour more vivid, great improvement.

CW - I was hoping you'd come along and work your magic, you never cease to amaze me with the improvements you make with your 'quick fixes' :grin: Your explanation certainly helps, I've always tried to just darken the background and never thought to lighten it, fix the problem area and then darken it again - that is what you're saying isn't it, or have I completely misunderstood? I'll have another tinker when I get home.

Thanks again,

Ian

Archived