Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

*Eyepieces Finalizing*

Hi guys,

I am about to purchase my first telescope (the Orion xt10 Classic Donsonian) and I was just hoping to get some advice on some eyepieces and Barlow lenses. Eyepiece and Barlow should be around £120 together please.

This was the eyepiece I am thinking of buying, the SWA 70 degree 24mm. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/sky-watcher-swa-70-eyepieces.html

The Barlow lens I am thinking of is this one. It's takes 1.25" and 2" EPs.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-x2-super-deluxe-ed-barlow-lens-2.html

I am wanting to observe DSOs and planets but more to the side of DSOs.

If you have any good suggestions of good eyepieces or Barlow lenses I would love to hear your reviews and experiences with your equipment.

Any help is much apprexiated.

Clear skies,

Rob

Avoid that 2" barlow.  It is Chinese made is reported to be inferior to the Taiwanese GSO made one according to CN contributors.  I have the latter, and it is indeed excellent.  Adding a Televue Panoptic Barlow Interface makes it near perfect for use with longer 2" eyepieces.

I have the 22mm AstroTech AF70 version of that line of eyepieces, and it is the best of the line.  Excellent out to about 90% of the field.  The 17mm is good to about 80% while the 13mm is only good out to about 65%.  After that, stars start to show some astigmatism and lots of chromatic aberrations (think rainbow comets).  I don't have the shorter ones to compare.  That's a 2" only eyepiece, so keep that in mind.  I don't know where you got the 24mm from.

Archived