Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Blocking out Street Lighting

AlistairW

I have managed to construct a set of shields for street light that have been irritating me. I used a set of telescopic extending poles (the type used for extendable paint rollers). The good bit is that the take about 20 seconds to put up and the same time to roll up. Look pretty unobtrusive once rolled up too. Certainly helped get rid of the stray light, and were easy to make.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

I have try just about every I can think of and it only made you feel better in the end.  The light is still there you can put a 30ft wall up but when looking up if you can only see 20 Stars in one spot you still have 20 Stars with or with out the wall. I have got to that point and the only way is to move but the wife said no to that , I try useing a club with nice dark skys  but if you not a key holder if someone is closeing up at 11.30 you out at well , a dome  will made you feel better as it shut more light out for you but still only 20 Stars out side. just the way I see it.

I do something similar, but don't have such a fancy solution as in your pictures. I have made a washing line, where I can hang up a plastic sheet. Takes me a couple of minutes. I hang up blankets over the balcony fence. Takes approx 10 minutes making my observing spot darker. And it still isn't dark in all directions, but a lot better than earlier. I am still thinking about making a more permanent and faster solution. Maybe using some rolling curtains and hang them under the top of the balcony fence.

Some neighbours live below our house, one other lives above, so light comes from all sides.

4 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

I have try just about every I can think of and it only made you feel better in the end.  The light is still there you can put a 30ft wall up but when looking up if you can only see 20 Stars in one spot you still have 20 Stars with or with out the wall. I have got to that point and the only way is to move but the wife said no to that , I try useing a club with nice dark skys  but if you not a key holder if someone is closeing up at 11.30 you out at well , a dome  will made you feel better as it shut more light out for you but still only 20 Stars out side. just the way I see it.

What I have done so far, really helps keeping night vision. The amount of the stars in the sky does not increase of course, but your eyes will be better.

5 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

5 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

Sorry, I can't remove the quotation.

There is one lamp I would most like to turn off. But it is hanging on the neighbour's house and that neighbour explodes very easily...

At least you street lights are short, the ones down my road are higher than the houses for some reason so they shine nicely into my garden, if they were a couple of foot shorter the house would block the light.

Dave

11 minutes ago, Linda said:

What I have done so far, really helps keeping night vision. The amount of the stars in the sky does not increase of course, but your eyes will be better.

Yes I do see your point on keeping nightvision but it takes 20 minutes for your eyes to adapt and as you can see in pictures House windows are so much higher so anyone of these houses put a light on are You back to square one. No substitute the real dark skies out of towns and cities but Unfortunately most of us do  live in one.

A great solution and well made. I may need something like this myself for one of the new LED lights on my street.

I've just removed some less sensible solutions from this thread. Please be mindfull when posting, thanks.

2 hours ago, Sporadic Dobstronomer said:

I can't see any pictures.  I just get broken link indicators.

Are you using a iPad or something simular? I am using one now and can't see the pictures that I did see with a computer this morning.

Archived