Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Demon Barber

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

38 minutes ago, mikeobrien said:

See you up there will prob bring a big dob this time as I have been offered the use of an 18" dobber. Its just too much hassle taking the imaging scope out of the obs and then setting it u p a gain a t home. Pie eating competition why didnt I know about this ill give you a run for your money!

Image is the double quasar in Ursa Major two images of the same quasar aparently due to gravitational lensing, the light from one arrives 3 days before the other and the distance from us a very slight 8billion light years!

Double_Quasar_QSO0957_561.jpg

Good stuff Mike. I'm sure you'll find it slightly different doing visual. 

The quasar looks really unusual 

"Pie eating competition why didnt I know about this ill give you a run for your money! "

Well Mike you had better get in some real hard practice then as you will be up against some of the  toughest  seasoned men of the Pie Eating world. 

South Shields Astronomical Gazette,      breaking news:

It won't be long now to the Spring Galloway Star camp.

Although many will not admit it, it is suspected that there is a fair amount of pie eating going on behind the scenes in an attempt to enhance chances of an honourable mention.

One of our "runners up"  in last years Autumn Galloway Star Camp Pie Eating Competition, Jim (Jamie56) has even gone off to the sub zero conditions of Aviemore to enhance his chances of success. Jim has been spending copious amounts of time, visiting the most inaccessible places in the coldest and wettest conditions possible, in his attempt to snatch the title. He says eating pies in the ice cold conditions there prove to be quite a challenge both mentally and physically, especially after  the sixth pie!!! 

Now that's what we call throwing down the gauntlet!! Our "pie spies" also informed us that copious amounts of whisky was also used to help in his training. It has not been admitted but we suspect that it involves an Orkadian single malt! ( probably a 16 year old due to his latest well documented visit up north). When interviewed Dawn (Baby Hubble) refused to say exactly what Jims tactics were to be, or how long he had spent so far in getting ready.

Sub Zero Pie Contest Training at aviemore.jpg

We know that Ian  (Uplooker) in the past  has used and is using  similar tactics, in that he favours a combination of Black pudding ( very solid heavy, dry  and hard to pack in)  and Paddy's whiskey, for his prizewinning attempts.

Black Pud and whiskey.jpg

Damian (Mapstar) has refused to be drawn on the subject of his methods. But reading back through "so many posts in the WADAS section" suggest he favours a rather massive amount of Curry with possibly a beer chaser. His frequent trips around the country suggest a great deal of practice with curries from all over the UK in an attempt to finally become supreme champion at last.

Curry and beer.jpg

Well folks only time will tell in this interesting race to become Champion Pie Eater  Galloway Star Camp Spring 2017

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 5

Hi Folks.....

Further to Derek's excellent January status report on the Pie Eating competition preparation, given the popularity of the event, we plan to outsource the betting to Ladbrokes  to decide the odds on the frontrunners.

This Spring there will be a second book on the guessing the number of pies that will be used in the competition. (Mike, you are barred from betting on this part of the event!)

Keep practicing........

Adrian

• Like 3

Well managed to book leave etc.  so I'll be there (from the previous Saturday), but someone else MUST come as Lesley says I was the 13th confirmed......

• Like 2

Never thought of the sub zero training.

Jim you're a genius combined with altitude training I should be able to wrestle the title away from the chief pie muncher as I've failed everytime up to now.........................:wink:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mikeobrien said:

That indian meal looks like my breakfast lunch and tea while I am at galloway!

Just a starter for some Mike :wink:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mikeobrien said:

So that 22inch scope is really a giant pie canon.

Pie measuring device for accuracy of the count up :grin:

46 minutes ago, mikeobrien said:

So that 22inch scope is really a giant pie canon.

It is a scientifically calibrated dual purpose device, capable of physical pie size measurements, but recently adapted also to check the validity of the peas as well. It also fills a minor roll as a Dobsonian telescope.

The South Shields Astronomical Gazette has it on good authority that ongoing adaptations are being made to measure the viscosity of gravy. This is still in the early development stages as yet and something for the future as there are have been some problems with the viscosity being changed due to expansion cooling effects during the measurements, or so we are told.

Derek

• Like 4

Went in search of the fabled orcadian big foot pie but to no avail the quest will.continue to all corners of the know pie world 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jamie56 said:

Went in search of the fabled orcadian big foot pie but to no avail the quest will.continue to all corners of the know pie world 

What The South Shields Astronomical Gazette wants to know is whilst on the wee boaty in the slight swell, did Ee manage to down a few ( 6 or mair pies and keep em down) to test yer hardiness/readiness fer the competition ? :evil4:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Physopto said:

What The South Shields Astronomical Gazette wants to know is whilst on the wee boaty in the slight swell, did Ee manage to down a few ( 6 or mair pies and keep em down) to test yer hardiness/readiness fer the competition ? :evil4:

6 is for wimps and the likes ate a desperate Dan cow pie half way across just to keep the boredom away o and the swells ??

• Like 2

Desperate Dan even looks a bit like Jim. ??

IMG_0047.JPG

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 3

On 13/01/2017 at 22:34, Demon Barber said:

Did`nt know you spoke pirate Derek :happy6:

Argggg !

Being serious for a moment... ;) if there's an oven on site and if I can still make it down, I could bring pies.

My local baker does steak with peppercorn sauce - oh, boy! :icon_biggrin:

Edited by furrysocks2
  • Like 2

Sounds like a plan!

Plenty of ovens on site,will let you know how many,after the munchers get a whiff of pies :icon_biggrin:, I`m sure there will be a reaction shortly.

Regards

Mike

ps a name would be nice

Aye, it's Matt. I think I sat in the van with you a few years ago - black camper and the dob in my sig.

Regular pie nights down the local - bakery did a turkey, stuffing and cranberry for us at Christmas, chicken and haggis is a regular, macaroni's a damn good'un but the steak and peppercorn is just bonkers.

Nom, nom.

• Like 2

Hi,

Now booked to attend Galloway for the first time and I'm looking forward to it, I've attended Lucksall a couple of times and Astrocamp at Cwmdu once so I've an idea what to expect.

You might like to know that I'm partial to a decent malt and will definitely be bringing some along if you're interested.

I've never really progressed with guiding / PHD2 so looking for a mentor to help if possible.

Regs,

Mark

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A40farinagolf said:

I've never really progressed with guiding / PHD2 so looking for a mentor to help if possible.

Hi Mark,

I'd be delighted to try and help you with guiding. Wander about and Keep shouting "Gav" until I say hello!!!

See you up there.

17 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Hi Mark,

I'd be delighted to try and help you with guiding. Wander about and Keep shouting "Gav" until I say hello!!!

See you up there.

Hi Gav,

May thanks for your offer to help and I'll track you down - I'm there Fri, Sat + Sun - How about you?

To learn guiding I plan to bring the items below, can you think of anything else I should bring please?

AZEQ6+polemaster, APO frac, side by side mounting plate, 80mm finder scope, Altair camera focuser, ZWO ASI120MC, Canon DSLR, a few cables and laptop with PHD2 loaded - + single malt :-)

8 minutes ago, A40farinagolf said:

Hi Gav,

May thanks for your offer to help and I'll track you down - I'm there Fri, Sat + Sun - How about you?

To learn guiding I plan to bring the items below, can you think of anything else I should bring please?

AZEQ6+polemaster, APO frac, side by side mounting plate, 80mm finder scope, Altair camera focuser, ZWO ASI120MC, Canon DSLR, a few cables and laptop with PHD2 loaded - + single malt :-)

I hope to arrive on the Thursday and will leave on Monday, so we should have time to suss it all out. With any luck we'll get a bit of clear sky to test in earnest too!

Your kit list looks spot on. The only thing I would say is to make sure you have the ST4 cable to go from ZWO to mount (though actually you could get away without that one!) and to make sure you have enough USB ports to plug everything into. If you are using a USB hub, make sure it is a powered one and you have the power cable!

I'm very interested to see the Polemaster in action, heard about them, but not seen one yet.

I'll bring the Jaffa Cakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhotoGav said:

I hope to arrive on the Thursday and will leave on Monday, so we should have time to suss it all out. With any luck we'll get a bit of clear sky to test in earnest too!

Your kit list looks spot on. The only thing I would say is to make sure you have the ST4 cable to go from ZWO to mount (though actually you could get away without that one!) and to make sure you have enough USB ports to plug everything into. If you are using a USB hub, make sure it is a powered one and you have the power cable!

I'm very interested to see the Polemaster in action, heard about them, but not seen one yet.

I'll bring the Jaffa Cakes.

Sounds like a plan.

• Like 1