SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

15 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Stuart, weather is weather we`ll get what were given------despite getting the order in weeks ago for cold clear  skies,

See you there, how`s your  Tak?  you got a great bargain there,

Regards

Mike

Forecast not so good on the clear skies website but as we know Drumroaming seems to have its own micro climate, I'm feeling hopeful .... The Tak has not seen light yet but been doing bits n bobs to it. First was fitting polemaster as it seems to be the No1 mod at the moment, in waiting on a 2" adaptor arriving so I can use the 2" eyepieces and lastly fitted a pier extension to lift the Scope up and save the back ache. If it looks promising I'll bring the beast down but just do visual with it. Everything is crossed ?

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At last a weather report with some clear spells, the week is looking better. :icon_biggrin:

Adrian have you had a good day,you have been uncharacteristically quiet or have you been playing with your new gear setup?

How`s the weather been today ?

I should make it late  Monday all things being equal

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Its been a strange sort of day....

There was a sunrise with clear patches, blue sky was a good 35% of the sky at 10:15am when walking Bud in the woods.

Then it got a bit peculiar, with the sun shining in the south and a mist appeared over the little rise from the south west being very moist.

After lunch the wind was light... as the afternoon wore on, we started to get drizzle still with light winds.

I watched Father Ted on TV in the games room. Still damp and now 22:50 the winds are strengthening, Julian and myself have battoned down for the night, have just checked all the guide ropes and the wind has changed direction and coming more from the west. It has definitely strengthened over the last hour or so. Wind not anything like it was on Monday afternoon last.

To sort things out I am having a whiskey and about to check outside again, it is not raining but there is moisture in the air.

Lesley has to take her car to the garage in Wigton by 08:30am tomorrow morning for a service, so we are planning to walk back with Bud across the fields.

Should be back before you arrive.....

Take care in driving here.... have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Mike,

If you have some red transparency film that would be great, if not do't worry.

I nearly forget the caviar... it would go lovely with a ribeye steak......... Gee, that whiskey seems to be making me delusional !!!!

Plus... clear skies.

Drive safely.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Mike,

I think the drizzle is not drizzle... good ... but the strong wind actually lifting the dew or earlier drizzle off the ground, because when you shine the torch there is no moisture visible above knee height.

Have a good night's rest and see you later tomorrow.

Cheers

Adrian

One of the mob has just posted this weather link. Sounds promising for the west side of Scotland and predicted frost is good news

Colder weather

I hope Adrian and Julian have battened down the hatches if the wind is like it is here. At present really strong gusts although it is dry to say the least. It's only Monday but I'm looking forward to getting out of the rat race for a few days and relaxing.

The site should start to fill up from today, and I will be joining the rest of you around Wednesday dinner time fingers crossed all is well when I turn up :wink:

P.s. Derek is quiet? 

Hi Damian,

When you are coming, can you leave the wind behind in South Yorkshire..... we have enough here to sink a battleship.

This morning, it is cloudy, drizzle type rain, with the sun trying to break through the clouds and the wind.

I have walked back from Wigton with Lesley and Bud. We came the scenic way across the old aerodrome, it was fairly windy there. One of the weather forecasts had the wind speed at 16mph. One of the lunchtimes this week they are predicting 40mph.... with speeds of 19mph either side of it. (surely, that's a mistake).

It was windy last night. Julian went shopping in Newton Stewart this morning and says there was a light breeze there, but when he got back to Wigton the breeze was a lot stronger.

The guide lines are holding well, with us only having to reset 3 or 4 of them.

Julian said he saw the Moon and stars at 06:00am this morning.

And, the Sun has just broken through   12:06pm ...... Hurrah....

Cheers

Adrian

PS there are thousands of geese around........ so pack some binos for the views.

Hi Mike,

Hard at this moment in time to decide on what to bring astro wise...

If you are camping then a solid tent with heavy duty pegs would be the order of the day.

It is very windy at present, hoping the wind may drop.

The sun is shining and it is not raining, it is very similar to last Monday here, except the wind was a lot stronger last Monday afternoon.

Astro wise, a smaller scope would be better than a 22" dob because of the wind. Any scope will need to be well  anchored.

Warm clothes  to protect you from the breeze. There is a small microwave here, which has been extremely useful, because the wind makes cooking outside entertaining....

I also used the Harbour Inn in Garlieston for 3 of my 7 evening meals so far.  I will be visiting them twice more in the next few nights.

Be careful on the roads.

Cheers

Adrian

Just got here about quarter to two. Wind blowing quite strongly and gusting to about 25/30 mph. Too much for erecting an awning anyway. It has dropped a bit as the afternoon has progressed. Ground is very muddy under the grass. Car sank in a bit and left tracks ! Just hope it improves by tomorrow.

Derek. 

And yes Mike I was being blown about a wee bit. 

And yes Damian was quiet as nowt really to say ! :director:awaiting your arrival to annoy you  ?

Oh dear, it isn't exactly the best conditions for a star party is it... The forecast seems to be an improving one, with some potential clear skies by the weekend and into early next week. Fingers crossed!

What is the ground like? This has me slightly worried:

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

Ground is very muddy under the grass. Car sank in a bit and left tracks

I am coming in a 4 tonne motorhome and really don't want to end up buried up to my axles! I've done that before in Norfolk and it's not a great way to pitch! Is the whole campsite grass or are there some hard standing pitches?

Please, Sky Gods, be kind to us humble star gazing folk...!

4 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I am coming in a 4 tonne motorhome and really don't want to end up buried up to my axles! I've done that before in Norfolk and it's not a great way to pitch! Is the whole campsite grass or are there some hard standing pitches?

I thought you had levelling rams on that posh motor home Gav, a few planks of wood and you can lift yourself out :grin:

Unlike me who has to dig himself out :hmh:

Dave

11 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Oh dear, it isn't exactly the best conditions for a star party is it... The forecast seems to be an improving one, with some potential clear skies by the weekend and into early next week. Fingers crossed!

What is the ground like? This has me slightly worried:

Don't worry about it, plenty of us to watch and laugh. ?

Most motorhomes are front wheel drive so can be a problem, but I recon if you are aware of it just take it easy and we will help out. Ralph has a small tractor anyway. There is also some hard standing area.  My car and van are 5 tonnes and  managed but car is 4 wheel drive, but on pretty slick tyres.  Anyway don't get in a panic, we like a good laugh !

Derek

Hi Gav,

Lesley will decide the best place to park you. There is hardstanding by reception but it is not necessarily the best place to do astronomy from. Mike has the first static van, so he might be agreeable share the space there which has a fence around and would help shelter you from the strong Northwest wind that is currently blowing.

Next, there are stars about at present.... Venus is showing well. Orion is there, Sirius, Aldebaran, Pleiades, Capella, Castor and Pollux are among some of the early risers.

The Pole star is not visible as there is some dark cloud to the north of the site. It is very breezy at present with the wind coming mainly from the northwest.

I am off to tea and to watch the match on BBC TV. It is too windy to have a telescope up at present.

Cheers

Adrian

Dave - unfortunately not. I have wind down steady legs on the rear corners, but they won't get me out of anything.

Derek - charming! I always enjoy arriving at a campsite and setting up in five minutes to then get the chairs out and watch the comedy show of people putting up their tents. Looks like I could be in for a bit of my own medicine!

Adrian - that's great news that you can see stars! The rest is just details!

I look forward to joining you all up there and sinking in the mud!

27 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Dave - unfortunately not. I have wind down steady legs on the rear corners, but they won't get me out of anything.

You can have some nice hydraulic ones fitted for around £700.00 :grin:

Dave

Archived