SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

Excellent news, Will, Gav & Ally - glad to have you join us. You will enjoy it and if the skies play ball you will love it, admittedly some of you have a long round trip, but it will be worth it.

Have you seen Leslie & Ralph have received the award of Best Small Campsite 2017 from the AA

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/282004-dunroamin-farm-campsite-aa-small-site-of-2017-award/

The SP are very relaxed affairs with no workshops or talks, just like minded people doing what they enjoy. 

Look forward to meeting you all

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Twisted Lip said:

Hey guys, hope you don't mind another non-regular to Galloway as I've also booked 23rd to 27th having been persuaded by @Ally8446 and in turn persuading @PhotoGav!

Hoping for better weather than we had at this year's SGL's!

Cheers

Will

Welcome on board. If the skies are clear I guarantee it'll easily better the sgl skies.  

Hi Lads,

I normally attend the SGL meetings at Lucksall, because it is only 260 mile round trip for me. However, this Autumn I decided to go to Galloway, (just 800 miles round trip) because I wanted some really dark skies...... I have made many trips to the Galloway SP over the years, when the skies are clear there, they are fantastic.... this Autumn 4 regulars to SGL arrived at Gallpway instead... they really appreciated the wonderful skies, craic and are planning a return visit. If the skies are cloudy, we have whiskey tasting in the games room, while waiting for the skies to clear....... the skies appear hazy after awhile.

For those of you, who have not been to Scotland before, don't worry the language is not a problem, the Scots will translate the Geordie lingo for you!!!

It will be great to meet up with you again.

Cheers

Adrian

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Cannot be any worse Damian  did not see anything at SGL apart from clouds.

And even if they weren't there it would be light pollution. No good for me Paul galaxy hunting 

6 hours ago, Twisted Lip said:

Hey guys, hope you don't mind another non-regular to Galloway as I've also booked 23rd to 27th having been persuaded by @Ally8446 and in turn persuading @PhotoGav!

Hoping for better weather than we had at this year's SGL's!

Cheers

Will

This should be a good blast.  Really looking forward to it,  especially if the sky plays ball ????

6 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Cannot be any worse Damian  did not see anything at SGL apart from clouds.

Clouds, we can do nowt about, think Damian was more referring to how dark the skies are - only illuminated by stars, galaxies, nebulae and other such astromical bodies ?

Hi Kieran,

Thurs - Sun. Some of us are not retired or have as many holibobs as Mr Damian ?

Be good to see you after such an abscence, hope all is well.

You do realise that your time lapse images on YouTube are the reason we had some new attendees in Nov, admittedly only for one night before they went wild camping in Galloway forest. I suspect they froze their boll**ks off, they couldn't put their tent up and I had to help them ?. They were certainly young and keen.

2 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Kieran,

Thurs - Sun. Some of us are not retired or have as many holibobs as Mr Damian ?

Be good to see you after such an abscence, hope all is well.

You do realise that your time lapse images on YouTube are the reason we had some new attendees in Nov, admittedly only for one night before they went wild camping in Galloway forest. I suspect they froze their boll**ks off, they couldn't put their tent up and I had to help them ?. They were certainly young and keen.

Those lads were keen but definitely need proper warm clothing for their next outing. Good luck to them.

4 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Clouds, we can do nowt about, think Damian was more referring to how dark the skies are - only illuminated by stars, galaxies, nebulae and other such astromical bodies ?

Compared to where I live and light pollution Luckshall has dark skies that's why I went, I would go Galloway but after going twice to psp and then Luckshall I`m a bit fed up of going somewhere and not seeing anything.  I do know Galloway Like the Isle of Skye and Kielder have pristine skies and would love go there but I think I would jinx the weather.

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Compared to where I live and light pollution Luckshall has dark skies that's why I went, I would go Galloway but after going twice to psp and then Luckshall I`m a bit fed up of going somewhere and not seeing anything.  I do know Galloway Like the Isle of Skye and Kielder have pristine skies and would love go there but I think I would jinx the weather.

Nah Paul we have all sat and watched the clouds. The skies are worth the wait

Pack the beam tent up and head north. Weather good or bad you'll enjoy it. 

17 hours ago, mapstar said:

And even if they weren't there it would be light pollution. No good for me Paul galaxy hunting 

Agreed, even over the last few years (probably SGL 7 or 8 onwards) I've noticed that Hereford is throwing out so much more light pollution. I'm sure its those LED lampposts they've installed everywhere!

Will

Hi Everyone,

Latest News from  The South Shields Astronomical Gazette :

I expect everyone has heard that a Pie (Meat and Potato) was launched into space by some space enthusiasts from Sheffield University, today at 10.30 this morning. I am enclosing a short article from two sources ( picture from By Paddy Dinham For Mailonline  ) to explain it in more detail.

The stunt is part of a tongue-in-cheek experiment to determine whether change to a pie's molecular structure would make one easier to eat quickly

Quote:- By BBC News

A meat and potato pie has been sent "into space" attached to a weather balloon.

The pioneering delicacy was launched from Roby Mill, Wigan, at about 11:30 GMT ahead of the World Pie Eating Championship next week.
The aim is to see if its journey up to 100,000ft (30km) changes the molecular structure of the pie making it quicker to eat.
It is believed this is the first pie to be launched into the stratosphere.
Space enthusiasts from Sheffield-based SentIntoSpace have attached a camera and tracking equipment to the weather balloon and will analyse the data and edit video of its journey.
'Pie's the limit'
Bill Kenyon of Ultimate Purveyors from St Helens, who were commissioned to make the pie, said: "This is the first step to enable mankind to consume pies with more elegance and comfort.
"Neither the sky, nor the pie, should be the limit."
He added: "This pie will be tested to the extreme. It's structural integrity will be tested against the potential rigours of being served by a grumpy pie lady from Wigan or being transported for delivery in a pie van that hits a pothole in Hindley."
It is thought the pie will freeze on its ascent and will be cooked as it reaches "massive speeds" on re-entry.
The World Pie Eating Championships 2016 is to be held at Harry's Bar, Wallgate Wigan, on 20 December.

End quote.

The relevance to us is that we have it on good authority that the winner and runner up of The Galloway Pie Eating Contest ( Uplooker and Mapstar)   for this year are to be asked to taste the pie and their suggestions for improvement are to taken into account for the next generation off pies !

It seems that their fame has even spread to Wigan. Well done chaps.....:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you are into nightscape photography we have some fantastic locations in Galloway. Images below are from locations not too far from the camp site. Stone shard and weird stone heads are at the black loch near Murrays monument between Newton Stewart and New Galloway. The big viaduct is at Gatehouse station , all three locations have fantastic dark skies . Bruces stone up at GlenTrool is an good photo location at night. If like me you cannot sleep during the day why not take a road trip to Parton north of Castle Douglas , there is a small monument to James Clerk Maxwell there as well as his spiritual home at Glenlair . In any case enjoy yourselves 

DSC01886.JPG

DSC01871.JPG

DSC02756.JPG

6 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Thanks for the info Asset,much appreciated, a name would be nice,if your close to the campsite your welcome to have a look see,just let us know when you are coming.

Regards

Mike

Cheers Mike, name is Davie. I made it along a few years back but have since sold my wee camper. It would be great to look in again as everyone so friendly and so much knowledge around 

See you up there will prob bring a big dob this time as I have been offered the use of an 18" dobber. Its just too much hassle taking the imaging scope out of the obs and then setting it u p a gain a t home. Pie eating competition why didnt I know about this ill give you a run for your money!

Image is the double quasar in Ursa Major two images of the same quasar aparently due to gravitational lensing, the light from one arrives 3 days before the other and the distance from us a very slight 8billion light years!

Double_Quasar_QSO0957_561.jpg

Archived