SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway 2017 Spring Gathering

Well home safe and warm now.  Drove through some pretty squally weather around Gatehouse of Fleet. Hope that conditions do improve for those staying over tonight.

As for the weather over the past 24 hours it ranged from sunny, calm and settled to a raging gale that dropped lots of water on our tent.  Looking at it positively the tent stayed up and no guy lines came loose and I slept through most of it. But my wife was terrified  :confused:.  Still over the journey home she suggested that maybe she just needs to work on her fear as the tent did seem to stay up.  Heres' hoping that by the next star camp she is looking forward to camping again :alien:

Many thank to Mike for his assistance in erecting the tent. And to Derek, Stuart, Damien and Ian for their assistance in taking it down and helping to pack it away.

Now if the weather forecast is right I may get first light from my Mesu tomorrow.

Ever optimistic

Andy

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks,hope you are all havin a great time despite the poor forcast's.

Sorry i could nt make it this time but as some of you know im working in Dublin now mon/fri and moving house this weekend and next..have à dram for me and i'll see you all in November.

Goodluck

Kenny

Waved quite a few off this morning just as storm Ewan is making its presence known.The wind is set to peak around 3pm and then steadily drop to give clear skies for some of the night.

My scope is set up ready in the sheltered cooking area so keeping my fingers crossed it gets some use later on.

Good to see Jonathon and glad he has managed some clear skies whilst travelling about. We had quite a few glimpses last night but nothing to write about. Pinning my hopes on a bit of Sunday night luck. 

I hope all those that are travelling home today arrive safely and I'll update the thread later once the storm has blown through.  

It's a bit raw up here...

IMG_3624sm.jpg

This pic is not too different from yesterday's view, just with a bit of added rain. I measured the peak windspeed at 30.7 mph about an hour ago and it is increasing. Hang on tight!

As Damian says, the forecast is a great deal more optimistic for tonight:

IMG_3625.PNG

I'm really hoping to have a peek through the eyepiece of that huge Dob lurking in the cooking shelter tonight!!!

Despite the lack of stars, it's been lovely to meet a few new people and see some old friends. Lesley could not have been more welcoming and I can imagine what a beautiful spot this must be given more clement weather! The dog has particularly enjoyed all the rural niffs.

I just nipped out and measured the wind again, this time it peaked at 42.2 mph!! Surely that's enough to blow these clouds away...?

To be hoped that you folk up there get some scope time in. I am going to take a chance with this wind and the promise of some clear skies to head up into Northumberland, so that weather encountered in Galloway will most likely be sweeping across.

Back home now after high winds and driving rain nearly all the way.

Good to see/meet new and old faces.

Another great Galloway SP, although a bit light on astronomy, think that's what caused us to break James, hope you have recovered by now ?

Good luck to the hardcore staying for the Sunday night ✨

27 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Another great Galloway SP, although a bit light on astronomy, think that's what caused us to break James, hope you have recovered by now ?

Good luck to the hardcore staying for the Sunday night ✨

Not quite broken yet - but felt like it on Saturday morning :) Was good to meet you and thank you for the breakfasts...

Wind is dying down a bit now - there were some moments when I think the only reason the gusts didn't take my tent away was that I was sitting in it..

I'm hoping you took some of the clouds away with you :) 

James

1 minute ago, mapstar said:

20170226_163233.jpg

1488127610464-1539225841.jpg

Looking a lot better now :grin:

Thankfully the tow bar on Ians car looks like it's had all the cloud hitched to it. 

Just the wind to now drop further and who knows we may even be able to do some Astronomy :headbang:

you wanna get them pixels looked at on that camera at the top. They look rather large :D

Due to the decency rules I am unable to post what I really think after seeing those pictures from Damian and Patrick, other than ************* *****************.

I am sure that if I was to go to the next event and stay Fri - Mon it would end up being cloudy on the Sunday.

Joking aside, I do hope you get a good nights viewing tonight

Several hours of almost crystal clear skies. Damian, Dave, James , Jim and Dawn out messing around, plus several others  all enjoying the last night. Unfortunately cloud moved in and blanked out after about 10. Still good company in the warm room. Nice to meet new faces, but off home tomorrow. 

Derek

Archived