Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Jupiter

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and to the hobby with practically no experience whatsoever.

I have tried to image Jupiter with ZWO-120 webcam mounted straight to the visual back of CGEM 9.25 with an adapter.  Two nights ago we finally had a fairly decent night sky (60 west of NYC with tons of light pollution). The image results are ok and I managed to get one decent picture.  However when using the 2,5 barlow lens all attempts end up in washed out images. The Celestron Luminos 2,5 barlow should be a decent quality yet  the results are pretty disappointing even after I have played around with all sort of different setting on Firecapture and with Registax afterwards.  

What can I do to zoom closer without drastically losing image quality?   What am I not considering?

Andreas

Jup_225045aa.jpg

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 02:53, cuivenion said:

I'm no expert but at a guess I would say that viewing conditions were your problem. Sometimes the atmosphere just won't let you go over a certain magnification.

I would think a x2 Barlow might be a bit much some times with the Mak127's 1500mm native focal length. The seeing can be so bad it just is not worth even collecting any data.

Archived