SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece advice and thoughts needed

Hi guys,

I started out with a 130m with the stock eyepieces, however (much to my wife's exasperation) I just bought a second hand 200p from ebay. The new scope came very very cheap, but without eyepieces. While I can use the stock skywatcher ones from the 130m for the moment my (wife's) plan is that the 130 will go in the near future, leaving me with a need for some new glassware :) After looking round various discussions I have a short list I'd like opinions and advice on please. If you have alternatives please give them. So, I have a limited budget (approx £150 ish) and (as a total newbie) I don't really know what I want to focus on, so hoping to get ones that can be used for a bit of planet watching and some DSO's. 

8mm: BST Explorer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-8mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/161594578166

18mm: either Baader Classic Ortho & Plossl or BST Explorer
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-eyepieces-barlows/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

http://www.365astronomy.com/18mm-BST-Explorer-ED-Eyepiece.html

25mm: either Celestron X-Cel LX or BST Explorer
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-eyepieces-barlows/celestron-x-cel-lx-eyepiece.html

http://www.365astronomy.com/25mm-BST-Explorer-ED-Eyepiece.html

Thanks

Gary

A couple of points before, hopefully, people with more experience weigh in:

What's the focal length of your scope? I'm guessing about 1000mm.

All the EPs you mention are highly considered. There may be an advantage however with sticking to one line if they are parfocal. This implies that you don't have to refocus (much) when you change EPs.

If you think you may want to observe DSOs, you might also consider a wide-view EP in the 28 - 32mm range?

by "200p" do you mean this?

If so I think you will want an eyepiece with a longer focal length than 25 (to get ~5mm exit pupil). I'd recommend the 34mm 68 degree MaxVision (I think the 200p dob has a 2" focusser, if not, look at a TeleVue 32mm Plossl (if budget allows))

If your budget allows, a 12mm and a 6mm Vixen SLV would be really good in your scope for medium and planetary magnifications. I have the 10mm for my 250PX and it's an incredible eyepiece!

As a cheaper option:

A 12mm and 7mm X-cel lx would be a reasonable substitution to the Vixen SLVs at a much lower price. I got to look through the 7mm at a society observing session and it was very reasonable although the SLVs are better. But if you or your wife need to wear glasses at the eyepiece then the Vixen SLV's are probably the better choice for you despite the higher cost (20mm eye relief as opposed to the X-cel LX's 16).

For low power viewing, I'm not sure what to substitute the MaxVision for, it's already a pretty good value IMO. (If the scope only has a 1.25" focusser and not the 2", though, the TeleVue Plossl could be replaced with a 30mm Vixen NPL Plossl)

You're sure to enjoy the 200p, when I switched from my 130/900 to my 250PX with decent eyepieces I was blown away!

~pip

19 minutes ago, pipnina said:

by "200p" do you mean this?

If so I think you will want an eyepiece with a longer focal length than 25 (to get ~5mm exit pupil). I'd recommend the 34mm 68 degree MaxVision (I think the 200p dob has a 2" focusser, if not, look at a TeleVue 32mm Plossl (if budget allows))

If your budget allows, a 12mm and a 6mm Vixen SLV would be really good in your scope for medium and planetary magnifications. I have the 10mm for my 250PX and it's an incredible eyepiece!

As a cheaper option:

A 12mm and 7mm X-cel lx would be a reasonable substitution to the Vixen SLVs at a much lower price. I got to look through the 7mm at a society observing session and it was very reasonable although the SLVs are better. But if you or your wife need to wear glasses at the eyepiece then the Vixen SLV's are probably the better choice for you despite the higher cost (20mm eye relief as opposed to the X-cel LX's 16).

For low power viewing, I'm not sure what to substitute the MaxVision for, it's already a pretty good value IMO. (If the scope only has a 1.25" focusser and not the 2", though, the TeleVue Plossl could be replaced with a 30mm Vixen NPL Plossl)

You're sure to enjoy the 200p, when I switched from my 130/900 to my 250PX with decent eyepieces I was blown away!

~pip

Hi Pipnina,

sorry, should have been clearer. Its a Skywatcher Explorer 200p reflector on an eq5 mount.

thanks for the input :)

56 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

A couple of points before, hopefully, people with more experience weigh in:

What's the focal length of your scope? I'm guessing about 1000mm.

All the EPs you mention are highly considered. There may be an advantage however with sticking to one line if they are parfocal. This implies that you don't have to refocus (much) when you change EPs.

If you think you may want to observe DSOs, you might also consider a wide-view EP in the 28 - 32mm range?

Hi,

I did have it in the back of my mind that keeping to one series would be better (I just didn't know why) lol. I think something wider is definitely on the cards, its just whether to get it ahead of one of the others...

39 minutes ago, GaryHenderson said:

Hi Pipnina,

sorry, should have been clearer. Its a Skywatcher Explorer 200p reflector on an eq5 mount.

thanks for the input :)

Ah, if you have the f5 instead of the f5.8 then my higher power eyepiece recommendations still stand (maybe a 5mm instead of a 6mm though).

But the 34mm MaxVision would likely be unsuitable, producing an exit pupil of 6.8mm. This could work but would be a risk of causing the shadow of the secondary mirror to show up in your FOV when looking through the eyepiece and wasting aperture. If you go for the MaxVision, get a 28mm instead or get the 24mm 82 degree (a bit more expensive, but I own one and can definitely say it's great!)

Hi Gary,

I have recently been doing some research and hoping to get a good EP for the money like you are. Hopefully I have done the research so you don't have to. 

I have found two good EPs and as far as I know they are great for the money (I will link them below).

The first is the 'Skywatcher SWA 70 degree 22mm' - for around £85.00.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/sky-watcher-swa-70-eyepieces.html

The second is the 'Explore Scientific 82 degree 24mm' - for around £109 ( a tad more expensive but within reach )

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-24mm-maxvision-eyepiece.html

Just wondering what scope you have because although they go well with most scopes they also compliment my 10" Orion dobsobian really well!

Hope this helps and clear skies to you my friend, good hunting buddy.

Rob

10 minutes ago, Astro_Rob said:

Hi Gary,

I have recently been doing some research and hoping to get a good EP for the money like you are. Hopefully I have done the research so you don't have to. 

I have found two good EPs and as far as I know they are great for the money (I will link them below).

The first is the 'Skywatcher SWA 70 degree 22mm' - for around £85.00.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/sky-watcher-swa-70-eyepieces.html

The second is the 'Explore Scientific 82 degree 24mm' - for around £109 ( a tad more expensive but within reach )

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-24mm-maxvision-eyepiece.html

Just wondering what scope you have because although they go well with most scopes they also compliment my 10" Orion dobsobian really well!

Hope this helps and clear skies to you my friend, good hunting buddy.

Rob

I can attest to the 24mm 82 degree MaxVision being good, I own it and am always impressed. I can't comment on the SWA but it would give an exit pupil that's a tad small in Gary's scope. I would get either the 24mm 82 degree MaxVision or the 28mm 68 degree for a low power eyepiece.

8 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

If you've not seen a 2" EP before be prepared for a shock! They are a LOT bigger than the 1 1/4"!

It always pays to check out weights and dimensions before buying EPs, especially 2" wide angle ones.  My 2" Revelations are very manageable, but I have had others which were far too bulky - especially for the 'scope I had at the time.

Doug.

If you are limited to £150, which is more then I have spent at any one time on eyepieces so don't take "limited" to mean much, and if you are going to sell the 130M onwards then I suspect that you are going to have to look at reasonable plossl's or the BST's. Simply as if you sell the 130m you have to hand over the eyepieces that you are currently using as they are part of the scope. Buying 1 good eyepiece is a bit pointless, although deciding which eyepiece to use is much simplified. :hello2:

Getting all the same brand with a 200P is not overly important, it is very quick to adjust the focuser, not so on a Mak/SCT, but all the same look nice, especially when in a case. :icon_biggrin:

I would hang back from a 2", they give big views but swapping from 1.25" to 2" is not just a case of swap eyepiece, you have to swap adaptors as well, it starts getting a little more complex. At one time you will have a 2" adaptor, 2" eyepiece, 1.25" adaptor and 1.25" eyepiece in your hands all at once. You could miss Betelgeuese going nova trying to sort all that out. And as Danny said "THEY ARE BIG". :eek:

Assuming 3 eyepiece at around the £50 each mark then the BST's fit in perfectly, I would leave the 5mm out for now and get the 8mm, 12mm and 25mm. The 25mm gets "poor" reviews but I suspect this is a case of one has to be less good then the others, and it happens to be the 25mm. It is still good.

If you went for the X-Cels then 7mm, 12mm, 25mm, they cost a bit more.

If plossl's then look at the Vixen NPL's, you might get 4 of them, leave you to determine the focal lengths, but again not the 5mm (assumes they do one), too short on the eye relief.

Also look at the Altair range of eyepieces, especially if you initially got the BST's, Altair do a nice 6mm, ideal for planets. At Altair they are £55, at Tring they are £45 (?), think the Rother Valley also do them at £45. You could alternatively go for the Altair ones at the shorter focal lenths and get a different make at the long end for wider views. Think Altair's go up to 12mm. So 2 Altairs and a Vixen 30mm plossl would cover.

Not sure how much the ES 68's are, they are an option if the price is right. Bresser do a clearance section on their website, could be worth checking that out.

An option, of course, is to build your eyepiece collection up slowly. You don't have to buy everything at once and, if it means you get a better set at the end of it, buying individually may turn out to be the better decision.

If I had bought everything at once, I'd not have my 24mm 82 MaxVision or 10mm Vixen SLV, I'd probably be owning Plossls due to reduced cost. Now, good Plossls aren't bad, but the MaxVision is mind-blowing to someone previously using the SkyWatcher Modified Achromats and the SLV is far better for me as a glasses wearer than any other eyepiece I've looked through... and pretty exceptional regardless of your level of eye-brokenness :p

I bought my scope with the MaxVision, and later bought the SLV and I intend to get the 6mm SLV some time soon (maybe in time for Saturn... :O) that would complete my eyepiece collection as far as essentials go (low power, medium and planetary)... Though I'm sure something else will take my fancy later. I know my next 'big update' to the scope will be filter-related next year.

In this hobby, more than others, patience is a virtue.

~pip

I'd also avoid anything to higher magnification. The temptation when starting out is to bump up magnification to the max but that just leads to problems. 

A nice 9 or 10mm is about the max I'd go to. 

I agree also that building up over time is preferable. I'd rather build up a really nice set of EP's over time then rush to buy a mediocre set all at once. 

Scour ebay, astrobuysell and shop clearances for bargains and build up a set accordingly. 

I totally get the building up over time thing, the only necessity to buy more than one at a time is down to the fact the "new" scope didn't come with any eyepieces, and once the "old" one is sold on I thought a basic set of 3 would be a sold base from which to build from :)

As it is, the plan is to sell the old scope after the summer and save up until then before actually buying anything, hopefully getting to view through some of my local group's eyepieces in the meantime. Much to ponder.

I really appreciate your input guys - its a real minefield for the uninitiated

Gary

Just now, GaryHenderson said:

I totally get the building up over time thing, the only necessity to buy more than one at a time is down to the fact the "new" scope didn't come with any eyepieces, and once the "old" one is sold on I thought a basic set of 3 would be a sold base from which to build from :)

As it is, the plan is to sell the old scope after the summer and save up until then before actually buying anything, hopefully getting to view through some of my local group's eyepieces in the meantime. Much to ponder.

I really appreciate your input guys - its a real minefield for the uninitiated

Gary

Quite the minefield, indeed! I was completely confounded when I first looked at EPs.

Ok so the website went down as I made a long post in favour of the Celestrons and so here it is in short as I don't want to type it all out again.

25,12 & 7mm X-cels give you x 143, 83 and 40 respectively. Each has a decent apparent field of view of 60 degrees and for the 25mm this translates to a tfov (true field of view, this is what you see through the business end of the scope at the eyepiece) of 1.5 degrees, this covers the vast majority of larger objects to view in the night sky.

The 25mm (low power) can be used has a finder eyepiece to aid with locating objects and also for some galaxies, larger open clusters and nebula

The 12mm (med power) can be used for the same as the above but gets you more detail in at greater magnification.

The 7mm (high power) will cover of the planets, double stars/stars in general and globular clusters.

All the above are just examples but most would agree that its a fair assessment.

In your scope you should get a decent sharp view accross around 80% of the tfov (see above)

They also do a 5mm if you wanted to take the magnification to the upper limit and you find you like the eyepieces, I think you will.

The cost means you can get all 3 from just outside your budget and they all have a decent resale value for if or when you decide to upgrade.

They are parfocal which means little in the way of refocusing when you switch eyepieces.

More importantly, they are very easy to get along with for a newbie. The eye relief (distance between eye pupil and the eyepiece focal point) is very comforatable and from my own experience I found them just easy to use with no other astigmatism such as kidney beaning.

Hope this helps.

PS, I am not on a % of sales if you decide to go ahead :grin:

Archived