Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Infinity 102

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too steep Mak, the scope does everything! You will get used to it very quickly. I had one, not nearly as good, but it was too much for me. I have a condo, not a house, and it was upstairs. Now I keep my Meade downstairs where I can actually use it.

For my entertainment, I am working on installing a Crayford-Focuser to my AR5 127mm refractor. Needed to get an entire assembly - a new adapter is needed. So I'm the beta-tester for Agena on this job. Here's my Thus Far Report:

Agena warned me it was a beast to remove the old visual-back on these scopes, and encouraged me to try to remove mine before ordering. I wrote back to explain I'm a good mechanic with a full-fleet of tools. And I removed same without a hitch. But could see where most folks would have problems. And now the new one has arrived.....

The bolts that came with the visual-back/adapter to attach the Crayford to the adapter were useless. I got 3 M4's and nuts and attached it that way. Now it is time to fit the visual-back/crayford/adapter to the OTA of the AR5:

Lordy!! This thing is a beast! Using a rubber-mallet on a ballpeen-hammer is not up to the task. So I'm getting ready for Round Two - With my BIG rubber-mallet. Will apply some sand-paper and SuperLube® grease first.

Conclusion Thus Far: Not a job for the average Joe with little mechanical skills. Or the Tool-Challenged.

Wish me luck,

Dave

35 minutes ago, Ray1103 said:

Not too steep Mak, the scope does everything! You will get used to it very quickly. I had one, not nearly as good, but it was too much for me. I have a condo, not a house, and it was upstairs. Now I keep my Meade downstairs where I can actually use it.

I'll see. Everything is a challenge when you're disabled.

4 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

For my entertainment, I am working on installing a Crayford-Focuser to my AR5 127mm refractor. Needed to get an entire assembly - a new adapter is needed. So I'm the beta-tester for Agena on this job. Here's my Thus Far Report:

Agena warned me it was a beast to remove the old visual-back on these scopes, and encouraged me to try to remove mine before ordering. I wrote back to explain I'm a good mechanic with a full-fleet of tools. And I removed same without a hitch. But could see where most folks would have problems. And now the new one has arrived.....

The bolts that came with the visual-back/adapter to attach the Crayford to the adapter were useless. I got 3 M4's and nuts and attached it that way. Now it is time to fit the visual-back/crayford/adapter to the OTA of the AR5:

Lordy!! This thing is a beast! Using a rubber-mallet on a ballpeen-hammer is not up to the task. So I'm getting ready for Round Two - With my BIG rubber-mallet. Will apply some sand-paper and SuperLube® grease first.

Conclusion Thus Far: Not a job for the average Joe with little mechanical skills. Or the Tool-Challenged.

Wish me luck,

Dave

I'm impressed Dave. Normally if I manage to take anything apart it stays like it. If I do manage to reassemble it, there's usually a part left over and I don't know what it's for or where it goes. lol

You know Mak, I was thinking that I will order the Baader adaptor first, like tomorrow. This way I have a good foundation to build upon instead of trying to balance all that heavy stuff on a weak link. I know I'm a little paranoid but if I can avoid a mishap I will be happy in the long run. I hope the CAT arrives on schedule; please let me know! We are all busy bees when the weather stinks ?! 

It all depends what you mean by tomorrow lol. I believe we're four hours ahead of you, five if you factor in daylight saving time I think. It may already be tomorrow here. It's difficult to say if the Baader will be any safer than what you've already got.

I know your right but the Baader adaptor, at the very least, should be a nice upgrade. The existing set screw falls out very easily and, whie I'm not positive, I doubt the set screws on the Baader will be as flimsy. Once the new adaptor is in place I will concentrate on the TV 3x and the WO diagonal and eyepieces I am setting my sights on. If the Baader adaptor is not what I was hoping for I can return it, I'm pretty sure. I was going to call Agena later before I order it so I can ask them to make sure. Right now, on Long Island, it is Saturday morning at 8:10 AM. 

I'd probably trust the Baader stuff more. The Big Cat has arrived. It's big. It may be a few days until I can get it up and running. I had a mild case of food poisoning Thursday, must have been in a dodgy sausage roll or something. So I'm not at my best. The mount is heavier than I realised. It's going to be a challenge. Everything is these days though.

Are you feeling any better now? My goodness, what else can go wrong with us? Is there any way to get the big CAT on some kind of rolling device, like a dolly? Anyway, until your stomach and all are back up to snuff it's going to be even tougher. I guess take it slow and you will get it running. Let me see it when you are up to it. ok? I will check in later. Take care ✨

I've managed to fit the mount to the tripod, seems OK so far. I can carry each item individually in a bag, so transport to the bottom of the garden shouldn't be too difficult. I'll have to attach the scope and mount to the tripod at the same time, which will be difficult, but probably not impossible. It's knocked me about a bit though. Once I get more used to the sheer physicality I should be OK. Pictures may be difficult. I can't hold my tablet vertical and take a picture with one hand. I need to rest now lol.

C

1 hour ago, Mak the Night said:

I've managed to fit the mount to the tripod, seems OK so far. I can carry each item individually in a bag, so transport to the bottom of the garden shouldn't be too difficult. I'll have to attach the scope and mount to the tripod at the same time, which will be difficult, but probably not impossible. It's knocked me about a bit though. Once I get more used to the sheer physicality I should be OK. Pictures may be difficult. I can't hold my tablet vertical and take a picture with one hand. I need to rest now lol.

Sounds like you did a lot already Mak! Plus I'll bet your still not recovered from the food poisoning episode. Forget pictures for now, it can wait! So I spoke to Manish at Agena and all seemed ok with the Baader adaptor if I need to return it, which I doubt will happen. He verified that it should work well. Ok, so rest, and I am happy that the big CAT has landed on its feet, lol! Take care. 

I'm not familiar with that particular CAT. But if the focusing invokes mirror-flop as often is reported, keep an eye on putting in a Crayford-Focuser. It's quite simple to do on these SCT & MCT scopes. Nothing like my next and last installment in my saga of: The AR5 - Crayford-Focuser or Claymore-Mine!

The following is the review I've written to Agena, whom I've been corrosponding with about the brand-new adapter for attaching a GSO Crayford to certain refractors - including the AR5 I have - as I'm the first to do this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings, Tom -

I thought you might like a report on my findings as a 'beta-tester' for the new adapter to fit the AR5. So here goes:

Getting the stock focuser/visual-back off the AR5 required a block of wood and a standard claw-hammer. Placing the wooden-block under the lip of the flange (having first removed the three-screws helps), a few good raps, going around the tube, pushed the assembly up and out. If someone would find this a risky move, suggest they re-think doing this and, perhaps, finding someone who is skilled with tools to do the work. It gets much more difficult!

Remove the Crayford-Focuser from the adapter-ring/flange - use a 2mm Allen-wrench for this. Forget using the supplied Allen-head bolts to attach the flange to the adapter. It won't hold it snugly - which you need it to do. I used 3 12mm M4 Phillips-head bolts with nuts. Tighten these down as best as can be. Now remove the lens-cell (which holds the achromat up front) from the OTA. You don't want to shock the thing as much as what follows may do.

Sand down the lip of the OTA where the adapter will be fit. This is to ease getting the adapter onto it. Mine had tape on it that had become one with the tube. Once smooth, apply a good grease - perferably with PTFE (Teflon®)- to the tube. And place the adapter so the holes of the adapter aligns with the holes in the OTA. Now for the fun part!

Using a 2-lb Craftsman® rubber-mallet (This has both a soft-rubber and a hard-rubber head, you'll use both), pound(!) the adapter down onto the OTA - turning the tube/adapter with each hit. Not too hard, or too soft. It will take a bit of turning and striking to get the adapter all-the-way down. Now place 3-20mm M4-bolts to secure them in place with a Phillips-head screwdriver.

Re-attach the Crayford-Focuser assembly to the adapter & go howl and bark at the Moon!

I don't think I need reiterate my warning - this is NOT a job for the "Tool-Challenged" or faint-of-heart!  If you don't understand exactly what you're doing and how to from the start, please find someone who does and can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh the things we do for this "hobby!"

Off to put away my BIG Mallet - before I run amok with it..... :eek:

Dave :D

3 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

Yeah the Baader should be fine. The Big Cat has a visual back with a 1.25" adaptor.

bigcatback1.jpg

Seen here with an Omegon diagonal, Celestron T-adaptor and a Celestron giveaway 40mm (GSO) Plossl.

That is awesome Mak! Dave, I feel sorry for you ?! Kidding side, I didn't know you can whack a telescope like that. Obviously you can. You're a better man than I am Gunga Din! I spoke to Tom when I fixed my Starguider, nice guy. We all got stuff going on, mine is just easier and smaller ?! You have pictures of your project Dave?

OMG, it's going to rain here soon. My wife is planting her flowers in preperation of the rain. I wish I could plant my Meade right about now for all the good it's doing me! It will get better, I just know it ?. May 22nd is the Mars opposition? I hope it will be clear. Sounds stupid, but what exactly is a visual back? Thanks guys, talk in a bit.

Yup - the part of the back with an aperture for things like diagonals and eyepieces.

No photos of my 'project.' That's all I need: A visual record of my beating up a peaceful telescope with a giant hammer! :eek: I could put that on my letterhead and open a telescope-modification business! :D

Or not.....

Dave

Archived