SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

is 5 year old for a scope

Scopes are all about condition rather than age. If the coatings and optics are still in good condition, and there is no corrosion or wear, then they can go on for a very long time. I've had, and only recently sold a scope which is around 24 years old and still performs as well or better than modern equivalents.

5 years is practically new for an SCT. The ones to generally avoid were made during the Halley's comet era 1985-90 when they churned them out a bit too quickly resulting in some QC issues.

Meades are about 15-16 years old, WO's around 6-8yrs, Tal no idea but guess 5-12yrs.

Only newish one is the Bresser, 4 months.

This could turn into a "How old is your scope thread" :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Or a "Has anyone a scope older then they are" one. :hmh::hmh:

as already mentioned, it's more about the condition (providing it was a descent scope to start with) than age. of the three scopes I have now, only one is younger than 5 years. it was the most expencive and has now been relegated to guiding scope status :D

My 200mm F/4 Newt is my oldest working scope. Bought around 2001. It's the only one that's need my attention - the mirror was going. So I had it re-mirrored.

Nothing else has required any help. They all work as well, or better, than when I first bought them new.

Dave

Archived