Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally Split the Pup!

Leveye

After 4 months of rain it's been a glorious 3 nights of crystal clear skies. I even split the Pup! Stellarvue SV80ED and an 8mm Televue Radian. I took a picture of it. The Pup is amazingly sharp even at a crazy crop as this. Hope your skies are as clear as this.

Single__0003_ISO400_300s__28C copy.jpg

Single__0003_ISO400_300s__28C.jpg

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can I ask a silly question? Which one is the Pup? Just been trying to match up star fields on SkySafari and can't work it out

Dubble star of Sirius.

1 hour ago, Leveye said:

This will help to see it proper. It's really quite sharp even at this extreme crop. This was taken on the night of the 30th a few days ago.

The Pup!.jpg

I may be wrong but I don't think that is the Pup. It seems in the wrong place vs the surrounding star field and too far out.

I'm not sure myself. Just going by the picture I took. I have another observer that uses SkySafari that it is from what his chart looks like. Of course I want it to be haha! Can you tell me the name of the star it might be then?

On 1 April 2016 at 20:52, Leveye said:

I'm not sure myself. Just going by the picture I took. I have another observer that uses SkySafari that it is from what his chart looks like. Of course I want it to be haha! Can you tell me the name of the star it might be then?

The object you pointed to doesn't appear in SkySafari so I don't know what it is, but it is definitely in the wrong position to be the Pup if you compare the relative angle in the zoomed in SkySafari image vs your close crop. Sorry to say, but whatever it is, it's not the Pup.

Can somebody tell me what those closest stars are then? I've recovered all the highlights and don't see any other ones closer to Sirius that it could be. Must be one of the 2 closest in there. I'm still hopeful haha.

7 hours ago, Leveye said:

Can somebody tell me what those closest stars are then? I've recovered all the highlights and don't see any other ones closer to Sirius that it could be. Must be one of the 2 closest in there. I'm still hopeful haha.

Any other stars on the image are not on SkySafari, some else may be able to advise. I'm sure some of them will be noise or hot pixels, can you eliminate these?

Do you understand the concept of position angle? The images I posted are in the same orientation as your image, so we know where the Pup should be if it were visible. Your first candidate is in the wrong location. There is one showing which may be at the correct angle but my belief is that it is too far from Sirius. I believe the Pup is buried in the glare from Sirius in your image.

These two views may persuade you about the true situation. The first shows that the Pup is not visible at the same scale as your image, and the second shows how close it is even when the separation to a known star (SÃO 151875) in your image is expanded to just show the Pup's separation. It think this makes things clear. You probably need a larger aperture scope to capture it.

image.png

image.png

Hi,

Given how small and sharp that "star" is relative to the other very slightly out of focus ones, I'd say it's a hot pixel.

I imaged the Pup a few years ago with my 180mm Mak (slightly out of collimation) and very short exposures with a DMK21 and let me tell you it's not an easy task :) The Pup is burried on the difraction rings of Sirius n«making it very hard to split, it takes a very steady night and a fairly large apperture to split it. Nevertheless is a great image of Sirius! ;)

Here my Sirius and Pup for reference:

Sirius B

Cheers,

Archived