SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Amici Prism for EQ5 Polar Mount

The above Prism seems to fit the bill of providing a more comfortable approach to using the polar 'scope. 365Astronomy appear to list it but their site crashes when you try to check availability. Does anyone know if it is available from any other supplier or indeed if there is a more realistically priced alternative. Many thanks - John

I have the 365-Astronomy one - it's called the Polami if you're looking at the same one. That's the only place I could find it but that's not to say you won't dig it up elsewhere. It's quite good but a bit expensive - and as Frank says - if you observe from the same spot and mark it out then that can work out a lot cheaper. :)

Good advice! However for the first time of trying and having spent a cold frosty night last night squatting down trying to locate Polaris in the scope I came to the conclusion that there must be an easier way for an old pensioner like me to do it!!!

Yeah - same here - I just had one two many wet knees and creaky back lol. Plus I mostly move round different sites - rarely use a scope from home cos of the light pollution. Hope you manage to source it soon. :)

Thanks to Neil for the idea.

I haven't had one decent night yet since I received the kit so I am contenting myself checking the polar scope set up! By luck or good engineering a target remains in the cross hairs as I rotate the mount around the RA axis. However I have another naïve question which you folks may be able to comment on.

There is a requirement as part of the set up to position the small Polaris circle to the bottom of the reticule circumference  If I set the weight bar to the horizontal. (Left hand from behind the mount) the small circle is off to the right at about 4.30 in clock terms. Clearly I can place it at the six o'clock position simply by rotating the mount further. So my question is if the weight bar is horizontal should the Polaris circle be at the bottom automatically?

I hope the foregoing is understandable and not too stupid a question. - John       

Archived