SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece grease advice please

Hyperion76

Looks like I have eyepiece lubricant grease on the inner side of the zoom element on my seben zoom. Tried a lens pen but to no avail.

I would be grateful on advice on how to remove this grease from an akward inner element

Thanks

Rob

If you still have a warrenty at the store, you can ship it back and say it has a defect, I would try to get a refund if possible to buy something else or at least replace it with another one.

I tried 1 time to open an eyepiece to wash the inner part of the bottom lens, that was a fabulous mistake because I induced dust inside the eyepiece during the process, on a curvy lens where all the magnification happens.  Once it's inthere, it's really really hard to remove. (To my conclusions it's not even possible to achieve with the basic lens cleaning tools)

I had grease on a filter, i washed it untill there was no more deposit with basic tools, pencil, zeiss tissue, cleaning fluid.  But there was no danger with a filter.

Thanks for the replies ,this is an older eyepiece which came apart as i was cleaning it the small grub screw which fixes the lower lense came out giving access to the zoom element ,at that point i attempted to move a fleck on the element which i viewed when observing at low zoom levels,its my fault Iknow but it appears in the process of moving this the lubricant which allows the lense to move has got on the lense. Lense tissue and fluid would seem the only way but this is awkward due to its position. The only good thing is that the original mark has gone! Photos showing rear element detach and access to zoom element

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If everything else fails you could try cleaning the lens with q-tips and acetone.

Acetone is a powerful solvent that will dissolve many plastics, so you'd have to make sure that the lens and lens cell are acetone proof.

Don't forget to throw away that lens pen!

Yes - a LensPen with grease on it is asking for a temporary lapse of reason..... I'd suggest you try some iso-Propyl Alcohol, preferably the 91% (ask the shopkeeper) and q-tip first. Acetone as a last resort.

When I want to get rid of grease on mechanical parts, I use lighter-fluid for charcoal - outdoors and no smoking! That cuts any grease fast and gone. But I don't know if I'd suggest that for optically-coated lenses. And I'm an organic-chemist. Which means this would be a true experiment! And I'd only try it if the next step would be to place the Seben in the rubbish can. So if you have nothing to lose....?

Good luck -

Dave

Archived