Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter & M65 & M66 In Leo

Knighty2112

Had a good 2 hours observations tonight with my Skywatcher Startravel 120 refractor. First off looking at Jupiter, which was nice and clear to look at tonight. Seeing was again 3.5 to 4, and saw nice details on Jupiter's surface. GRS was observed very easily later on at around 11:15pm when near to the centre of Jupiter. Used my blue filter and got good detail showing, however when seeing allowed you could see OK without the filter on too.

I also tried to find the Leo triplet of galaxies which I'd never seen before. After a little hunting around, and finding the righ location, I honed in on M65 & M66 OK. These two little fuzzies where quite easy to see, and could see also without having to avert the eyes also. Best seen with my 17mm Skywatcher plossl EP at x35. Was very pleased to see these and before I knew it time was flying past. Tried looking for the third member of the group (NGC3628), but never saw it alas. If I had some darker skies I may have nabbed that too. Very pleased to have seen the othe two Messier's from my light polluted back garden anyway, so at least now I know where they are I can try again another time to see all three. :) 

Just been pointing binoculars at the same things- M65+66 were showing well, also had a look at M104 lower down plus M44 (always worth a look) and M67. Was wondering where the moon's of Jupiter were- apart from Callisto which I could see way off to the left they are all transiting or being occurred tonight!

6 hours ago, Walshie79 said:

Just been pointing binoculars at the same things- M65+66 were showing well, also had a look at M104 lower down plus M44 (always worth a look) and M67. Was wondering where the moon's of Jupiter were- apart from Callisto which I could see way off to the left they are all transiting or being occurred tonight!

Looked with my 15x70 binos too, but didn't make them out, however this was just to help find the galaxies first off with the telescope. I never looked at them again through the binos once I'd located them. Perhaps if I had done so I may have seen them too also through them if I looked hard enough. I'll try again on the next clear night. :) 

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Great report using a proper scope ! Had a scoop of galaxies last night, nicely dark,

clear skies !

Nick.

Thanks Nick. Not a patch on your reports, or sessions, but was very pleased to see these two galaxies. Got three galaxies ticked off on your spring galaxies list. Going to hunt for more on the next available opportunity. If I wasn't up for work this morning I would have stayed out and hunted for more last night. Was sad to go in on such a fine, clear night! :( 

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

Very nice report. NGC 3628 is that bit more difficult to spot, but just keep trying and one night it will pop into view.

Thanks. Hoping to try out a dark site pretty soon, so going to try to view them again from there to see if I can see NGC 3628. :) 

4 hours ago, Piero said:

Nice report mate!

Yeah, the third of the triplet is much more difficult to spot. I never managed to, but I suspect you could with your larger aperture.

Cheers! Fingers crossed at some point I will! :) 

I've missed the third of the Leo Triplet from suberbia with a 10 inch scope, while the two Messier galaxies were reasonably obvious (but not super detailed). Darker skies were needed before I saw all three (and much improved detail on all of them). Good luck with it!

Archived