stargazine_ep46_banner.thumb.jpg.34e6cdd5a0856b006a0b47c6373eb9b1.jpg

hitec Astro serial to us by for eq6 pro synscan.

Hi all,

wanted to get some collective knowledge.    I have recently had success controlling my mount from my Pc using the hitec Astro serial to sub cable.

however.   I have a small observatory just big enough for an ed80 an me.    And the cable is not long enough to route down the mount, across under the floor and up into the PC.......not nearly long enough by even my imaginary standards!   

So, to my question.   Has anyone come across a UK based reputable supplier of reasonably priced, robust serial to USB cables that work with eq6 pro's and are...let's say 5m long.

thanks for any input.    I have tried a sub extension and it doesn't seem to work.

Andy.

You've just need a 5m active USB cable but you will need a powered USB hub at mount or it will not work , have a look through my posts I had same problem few weeks back I now use a star tech 7 port usb2 hub and into that I plug everything in cameras , game controller , Eqdirect cable , only thing I would say is if your camera is a newer usb3 type then you would need usb3 hub and cable compliant types

Two things to consider:

1) Will there be enough volts/current to power your kit?

2) Are you exceeding the theoretical 5M limit for USB? 

A 5M Active cable sets you up for adding up to another 5M of ordinary cable.

They often have the same chips as a hub, encapsulated at the end of the cable.

So if your kit's power requirements are low, a 5M Active cable should suffice.

But if not, a 5M ordinary cable, and a Powered hub at the end, will be needed.

An Active cable attached to a Powered Hub is two hubs together, this may actually degrade your USB data rather than improve it  - but USB is soooo random.

Michael

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AstroEd
      I had a Hip replacement in 2016 and have not been 100% since so I have not setup my CEM60 Mount more than 2 times since then as it is ungainly to haul in and out of the house now compared to before the surgery. I miss my solar imaging and am strongly considering an iOptron Permanent Pier I have not found any videos on how to set it up though. I was also wondering what I should do about running wiring permanently as well or continue to haul it out every setup I do not and can not have an actual observatory so I run the wires from the livingroom laptop out a window (with a board the has 2 strips of foam on the edges and a notch cut in one corner for the wires to pass through.  I am not sure if I just want to toss weather/UV proof bags over the mount once the pier is done or buy a small plastic garden shed and hope it does not blow away in a storm.

I also am trying to figure out how to make my window board hold a USB hub setup so I use shorter cables... I designed an idea of what I want based on an old antenna wire window pass through I have for Ham Radio. I have added images of the antenna window pass through and the Minds eye design of what I THINK I want for the Astronomy USB connections. might add a serial to USB port to the board...

• By Ulysses31
      Hi, Everyone could with a little advice on connecting a my Synscan v4 to my laptop.
      I now how to do it and also know about USB serial adapters, what i am wondering is my laptop has a RJ11 coms port but in the Synscan V4 Manual it says you need a RJ12 port as the cable supplied  is RJ12. The RJ12 cable fits into the RJ11 perfectly
      Is there much difference in these and could i still connect using the method or do i have to go and buy the USB serial adapter?
      if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks 
    • By johnb
      Hi
      I am a BYE user with my trusty Cannon 450d and EQ6 Mount and all works a treat
      My cable setup is straight forward
      USB with 4 ports
      Port 1 - Cannon Camera
      Port 2 Guide Camera
      Then a cable between Guide Scope and Mount
      Guiding is with PHD2
      All works well
      So I would like to now add Stellarium for target selection and Astro tortilla for solving - and there is plenty of info on line about configuration - but very little on cable connection etc
      Do i need more cables - I have no idea (suspect I do)
      Pointers appreciated
      John B

• By Astrofriend
      To have all the needed equipment easy to use and functional is important out there in the dark. I have earlier built an astroserver and put it in a box with wheels together with a car battery. That was in mind of to be portable. The astroserver work as a standalone unit and I control it remotly. As I see it it's a lot of advantages to have it like that when doing astrophotography.

You can read about the details here:
      http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit.html

But now when I'm ready to start to use my new observatory there is some different needs that the astroserver and it's power unit must be corrected for. My old astroserver works very well so I will keep most of the parts but remove the battery from it and have the battery stationary in the observatory. There are some other details that I have corrected too.

As usual I have taken some photos and written text to it so you can follow my work:
      http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit-ver2.html

I hope you find something you can use, or at least one little small detail.

/Lars
    • By williamnohair
      Hi
      does anyone use 'Skywire' via Skysafari to control a Celestron Evolution with the starsence accessory fitted?
      My queries are these: What is the maximum cable length that can be used and are there any suppliers?
      and does Skysafari recognise the starsence accessory for initial Goto alignment ?

Thanks people
      Bill
      (Williamnohair)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.