SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just bought my first telescope! How do I get/keep my 7 year olds interested in astronomy?

Dubcat

Hello all, 

I am from Surrey in the UK. I have just ordered my first telescope, the Celestron NexStar 127 SLT Mak Telescope. I hope I made a good choice. I went on the advice of the very helpful person I spoke to in the store. 

I have bought the telescope for my twin daughters who turn 7 tomorrow. I hope it encourages them to enjoy the night sky, physics, and science in general. 

I live right next to an airport. Light pollution is awful. I plan to drive them out in to the countryside to try and get away from it a bit. 

Has anyone got tips for getting/keeping little kids excited about astronomy? 

Cheers, 
Dub

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

show them the moon first, you will beable to get some very good detailed close ups with your mak and also jupiter and moons,that will keep them intrested ,it did me at that age and we only had a 60mm refractor.good luck and welcome to SGL. charl.

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Good advice given above. Keep things simple and their interest will go. I would try the telescope out first before travelling. Get yourself used to how it works. The Moon and Jupiter and its moons will still be exciting sites, even with light pollution. Be prepare to have to answer lots of questions, but above all enjoy yourself with your girls.

Hi

The Moon and jupiter will be fine from your back yard even with light pollution I think.

Stellarium great free planetarium software.

The Moon 100 is 100 things to find on it. Could cross them off as you find them together.

You can draw a horse to water, but you can't make it drink ;)

The best thing you can do is expose them to as many different interests and influences that you can, that way they'll at least have an open mind.

I gave my son a go at cycling, skateboarding, unicycling (we learnt together!), astronomy, electronics, glider flying, music, films... etc. What does he do now that he's 19? Computer games! :)

Just don't be disappointed if they don't share your interests and, above all, don't force them into doing things they don't want to do. Except from eating broccoli of course.

WHOOPS! I thought I was on mumsnet... ;)

My daughter has always enjoyed camping trips. We first took her camping before she could walk, dark campsites provide children and adults with a wholesome appreciation of the night sky. Pointing out and learning various constellations, stars and planets is engaging whilst sat in a camping field with uninterrupted views. Equally consider taking children to star camps / star parties, a great experience providing more potential progressive structure and learning. A quick look through binoculars or a small telescope is fine - particularly at colourful and bright doubles or open clusters, but captivate them for longer by sitting comfortably and looking up (check out the ISS fly times to).

Hi and a warm welcome to sgl,  what a wonderful way to show and too learn them what is out there, once seen never forgotten,  those veiws will stay with them for ever. My grandad taught me to look up, learn and enjoy, those nights are now a fond memorie.

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :-) +1 for the moon, but getting away from the light pollution and allowing those young eye's to adjust to the dark will probably amaze them. So many stars!

I guy at work asked me why there was so many gaps between the stars?  I replied "stay out there for 20+ minutes and the gaps will fill in" 

Wow! I was not expecting so many replies so quickly. Thanks guys :) Feels good to know there's a community out there who can provide some support on this totally new journey :) 

I've ordered an ND filter to go with the telescope so we can look at the moon. I hadn't even considered that there are specific things to look for on it - yes, i'm really that naive re astronomy! I love the sound of ticking off the 100 things to find on the moon :) I will look in to that.

Thanks again folks!!! :) I feel much happier now :) 

Make it fun for them ? nothing worse especially for kids when things are made and taken to seriously. ?? as above show them the moon, Jupiter.  There are stars called the twins (gemini)...

What I found with my daughter when she was around that age was to first go out and look at the constellations and learn about them next came the moon ( my own obsession ) and then we got the scope out .,with galaxy's and nebula clusters and all,other deep,space stuff she new what we was looking at but the smudges and faint whispy patches did nothing and half the time she had that under whelmed look on her face ,as the planets came into view as the year went on it was pretty much the same a little,wow and then nothing we,them turned to the moon and that held her attention for another few weeks ,to try and keep her going she invited her friends round that again lasted a week or,two 

so to that end it fell flat and I am glad,I never brought her a scope but on the up side for you is,you have a scope and if you learn the constellations and all the dso's that are,in and around them you will be set up 

pat

Hi Dub and welcome to SGL, your new 127 Mak should serve you and your twin Daughters well, but you will need to get away from the dreaded light pollution for the best observing, so you will all need to go on a reconnoitre of your local country district, advice from your local Astronomy group, if you have one near hand, could be a big help.

Apart from introducing your girls to the optical side of things, putting the instrument together, how to use and the care needed when dong these things in the dark, should be paramount. Keeping the interest going could well be assisted by purchasing the essential "Turn Left at Orion", which you should all enjoy, giving you many things to observe with a small telescope.

Out in the field there is nothing more off putting for children than getting cold, we are now beginning to lose the long hours of darkness, as it turns towards Summer, but thankfully also the severe cold. so before the nights get too light, all of you enjoy you new telescope.

Your telescope is not necessary for use in the dark, your Daughters may be interested in Sun spots, information on getting hold of the necessary scope accessories for observing the Sun, will be readily available from the forum, if you wish to go down this route, enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

Hi Dubcat, and welcome to SGL.  One of the first things you will need to consider is the purchase of a dewsheild, as the 'corrector plate' at the front of the scope will almost certainly dew-up when you first use it.  These can be purchased from the forum sponsors FLO for a reasonble price.

Hi 'Dubcat' and welcome (and your twin daughters) to SGL. I would suggest that you join a local astronomy club/society too. Many cater or have seperate meetings/evenings for juniors and youngsters as well.

When you have the chance, late at night when the girls are sleeping, try to find some deep sky objects and practice finding them. I have noticed that if someone is standing next to you, and asking you to show something that you haven't found before, it is stressful to find an object. My hubby doesn't realize that I often need a lot of time to find a DSO, up to half an hour or so. But the ones that I have found before are easy to find back and I can just show them around to him.

The other thing is to let the girls develop some night vision before showing them DSOs. Then they look much better. But small children I think they will appreciate M42, M45, M31, M44 but maybe also big globular clusters, like M13 or M5. At a dark spot M13 looks spectacular in a 5" Mak. I was impressed last time. The first 2, M42 and M45, are also suitable for a light polluted area. You can also try M81 and M82, but I think they are more interesting for an adult.

Hi Dub,

Welcome to SGL. For 7 year olds you could try an interactive Moon map app if you have an IPad. There are several out there. You can then identify areas on the moon and name all the important bits as you view them. There is one called "Moon Globe" that I can recommend. You can look at it as if on an orbiting spacecraft if you want and several other options. You can zoom into an area if wanted. Mars Globe is another, but only for information as you will not be able to see Mars in the same detail through the scope. SkySafari do a nice app for the IPad as well.

Derek

Hi Dub,

Another app they might enjoy is Sky Safari.  I think I paid £0.79 for the iPad version.  Not just a sky map but info on constellations, planets, etc. 

I wish someone had given me the opportunity to look through a telescope at 7 years old :cry:   Your girls are very lucky.   Definitely make sure they are not cold, hot water bottles are extremely useful, not just in bed :-}    Perhaps take a flask of hot chocolate outside, if you have a little pop-up tent or shelter (I'm thinking the sort that cost a tenner in Aldi) then they could have a warm den with the iPad whilst you are finding an object - anything to keep up the fun factor. 

Good luck, Jayne

Archived