Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scam scope - again!

Stu

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how these keep cropping up, month after month, year after year. Same scopes as well - you would have thought they might have varied things a bit ?

I feel sorry for those whose e.bay accounts have been hacked and are being used in this way :undecided:

Seems to have got a lot of bids that one, usually they are reported and pulled quite early on.

2 minutes ago, John said:

Amazing how these keep cropping up, month after month, year after year. Same scopes as well - you would have thought they might have varied things a bit ?

I feel sorry for those whose e.bay accounts have been hacked and are being used in this way :undecided:

Seems to have got a lot of bids that one, usually they are reported and pulled quite early on.

I'm wondering if that's a new tactic, falsely bidding to increase the price to make it seem more credible.

Must be infuriating if your account is hacked, you would think eBay could improve their security.

The latest Takahashi 130 scam had a particularly nasty description page which phishes for your login details which I guess is how they hack accounts. Beware!

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm wondering if that's a new tactic, falsely bidding to increase the price to make it seem more credible.

Must be infuriating if your account is hacked, you would think eBay could improve their security.

The latest Takahashi 130 scam had a particularly nasty description page which phishes for your login details which I guess is how they hack accounts. Beware!

Does this mean I need to change my password if I've read the description?

Just now, Chris Lock said:

Does this mean I need to change my password if I've read the description?

No Chris, it's only an issue if you see the fake login page and enter your username and password so they have it. Maybe I was wrong and it was the AP scam which had the fake login page?

Phew! I did see a fake login page a short time ago, I think it was the Takahashi ad. This ad doesn't ask you to login again, but the wording of the ad is pretty dodgy. it says they will sell it for 1236 pounds (even though bids are at18k?), but please contact through a certain email address stating the specific ad (or it something like this). Anyway It's a really strange ad Stu.

2 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Phew! I did see a fake login page a short time ago, I think it was the Takahashi ad. This ad doesn't ask you to login again, but the wording of the ad is pretty dodgy. it says they will sell it for 1236 pounds (even though bids are at18k?), but please contact through a certain email address stating the specific ad (or it something like this). Anyway It's a really strange ad Stu.

These crop up all the time and are always scams. It is against eBay regulations to put contact details in the images or descriptions and is just a method of getting you to pay outside the protection of PayPal I think. The fake login page shows up every now and then and is how they get credentials to hack accounts. I'm sure eBay could change things to make this impossible but seem not to want to. I fell for it once and changed my password immediately.

Totally agree about Ebay, I'm sure they can and they should do more against these ads. If we can spot them why can't they? Don't they vet the ads that are put up?

I'm off to report this one if it's not been done already.

36 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Totally agree about Ebay, I'm sure they can and they should do more against these ads. If we can spot them why can't they? Don't they vet the ads that are put up?

I'm off to report this one if it's not been done already.

I reported it several hours ago, infact just after it was listed, and its still up and more scam listings added. The current highest bid on the telescope is £18,100. 

I keep reporting them, abd fleabay sometimes pulls the ads.  The high bidding I think is a new tactic to get people to report it and hence they will get the fake logon screen

Scammer now has 2 ads for the same meade up and running.  Now reported

36 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Hi Frank - 

Probably a daft question, but how do you spot these listings as fakes?

Doug.

They use the same format.  Very low bid, then in item description has a buy now price, and you have to email to a gmail account

Also, check the sellar, these listing appear in bait & lure sellars for example

scam.jpg

These are all scams...

As said, same format, often a low start price for a high value item, but always an email address in the description saying to email them directly and stating a price it can sell for.

The most dangerous but is when they put a fake eBay login page in the description to get your login and password details. Don't ever enter your info in there, if you do, change your password immediately otherwise your account will get hacked.

I get sick of reporting these, but continue to as it makes me very cross that people do this kind of thing, I don't want them to win!

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

They use very high end equipment offered with a "confidential" buy-it-now price which is set at around 25% of the value of the item to "lure" in knee-jerk reactions. Not just scopes, they have hi-fi and other high end stuff listed as well using the same model. It's like fishing - they put out a load of attractive baits and wait to see what bites ......

The long refractor whose photo they use is a rare one that was made in very limited numbers. They probably culled that and the description from Astromart or similar - the owner of such a scope would never stick it on e.bay !

12 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

If we can spot them why can't they? Don't they vet the ads that are put up?

I agree. If checking all of them is too much hassle then at least the most expensive.

But surely if you're buying stuff that expensive you would be a bit more careful?

The odd thing is about e.bay is that I've had some fantastic astro bargains from it over the years. You do need to really know what you are looking for though and thats the catch - many folks who shop there have little knowledge (understandably perhaps) of the items they are looking at / for.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

These crop up all the time and are always scams. It is against eBay regulations to put contact details in the images or descriptions and is just a method of getting you to pay outside the protection of PayPal I think. The fake login page shows up every now and then and is how they get credentials to hack accounts. I'm sure eBay could change things to make this impossible but seem not to want to. I fell for it once and changed my password immediately.

I fell for a fake login page too. 

I was selling a fair bit of stuff through eBay at the time and received a message along the lines of "You're selling this on eBay but do you have it in white?" with a link to the item. This took me to a login page and then onto the item. Luckily I realised immediately that I shouldn't have needed to login and changed my password. 

The scam email was very clever in its simplicity, the only one I've seen that most people could fall for. 

Archived