Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WTF!!

tony4563

NO KIDDING...11.15pm. I was viewing Saturn when I noticed 4 large orange balls of light, in line, and about 15 seconds behind each other, slowly coming from the North towards my direction, then "banked " heading East. They were low because I saw them pass under cloud. They were deadly silent. No sound at all. I saw each one just disappear before me. I'm seriously spooked up here and my heart is beating ten to the dozen. Did anyone see them? I'm in Bradford, West Yorkshire.

No way were they airplanes.. God, I'm still shaking

Hi Gaz.

What are sky lanterns?

With Saturn looking naff, I decided to do a star test to make sure I was collimated. I used Polaris as a guide. Like I said, I just looked up and suddenly saw these orange glowing balls slowly heading in my direction. There were four of them and they were about 15 seconds behind each other. I noticed they were beneath any clouds that were around. They then arced and headed East where they just vanished in the distance. They were seen for around 2-3 minutes I estimate.

They were larger than the landing lights you see illuminated from aircraft and were a red/orange colour. It was the silence I think that shook me while I was looking at them.

Thanks for the link Gaz. Sounds like it could possibly be these. There's a local Asian Mela weekend at the moment, come to think of it. They could possibly have come from there.

• 1 month later...

They should get done for littering and scaring the hell out of stargazers. Two years ago, at about midnight, we had a warm night so were sat outside with friends. It was partially cloudy and we saw what we thought was a plane. So the four of us watched this blue light progress in a northward direction over the top of us. Then a red light about half the size come from nowhere, travelling at very high speed, caught the blue light up and followed it from a very close range. The only thing we could think of was a fighter jet being refuelled by a air tanker. Hope it was and we saw something unique.

kpax

I had exact;y the same experience last summer. Three ridiculously bright orange lights (above the cloud though). 1 every 60 seconds. Was waiting for three huge bangs and a blast wave shortly afterwards! :lol:

Luckily, I queried it on forums like you have to keep my sanity. Sky lanterns it was :shocked: . I later found out there was some fete or somin going on a few miles away.

Matt

Yup - had them round here a few weeks ago. The first one scared the jeepers out of me as we live very near Gatwick airport in a block of flats.

Was stood outside having a smoke when I saw this large orange light coming towards me, below the cloud and moving silently. For a few seconds I thought it was a plane on fire coming out of the airport - it was hard to get an idea of range/size againts a neutral background.

No one else saw it and told me I had probably seen a reflelction off something. A few nights later there were loads of them floating around and then I spotted something on an astro site about it.

Archived