Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

VSOP

Has anyone ever tried this...

I had an extra fork mount for my LX90. I decided to try using it on my eq wedge/tripod with my DSLR attached. I built an aluminum adaptivator jerry rig to attach the camera. I'm just waiting for a very clear night to test it out. I figured it should track well enough for wide field photos. Has anyone else every tried this?

cam%20mount_zpsje7d0qzh.jpg

Edited by VSOP
  • Like 4

I've never seen anyone do that trick before! I'm truly fascinated! Do let us know how it works out, please?

Hmmm...

Dave

I will post results as soon as I get some, thanks

That should work.  I have the same lens and get best results at less than the full 400mm and stopped down a bit.  I'm assuming your LX90 fork bears no relation to an ETX-90 fork, which is an astrophotography disaster I discovered.  I'm betting the weakest link in your rig will be flex in the ball joint: looks a bit spindley; but the rest of it looks pretty solid. Good luck!

• Like 1

I agree Tim, that ball joint was just thrown on to prove concept. I will get something a bit more robust for the first try.

So here is the complete rig:

IMG_3277_zpst4va8em5.jpg

And here is my first result:

Orion_zpsie9avqyk.jpg

This is a single frame image from Canon 750D (T6i) at 400mm, ISO 1600, f7.1 for 15 seconds. Some minor Photoshop adjustments. Seeing conditions were marginal at best with major light pollution from the city. I used the mount in Alt/Az mode. Next time I will put it on the wedge.