SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Has anyone ever tried this...

I had an extra fork mount for my LX90. I decided to try using it on my eq wedge/tripod with my DSLR attached. I built an aluminum adaptivator jerry rig to attach the camera. I'm just waiting for a very clear night to test it out. I figured it should track well enough for wide field photos. Has anyone else every tried this?

cam%20mount_zpsje7d0qzh.jpg

That should work.  I have the same lens and get best results at less than the full 400mm and stopped down a bit.  I'm assuming your LX90 fork bears no relation to an ETX-90 fork, which is an astrophotography disaster I discovered.  I'm betting the weakest link in your rig will be flex in the ball joint: looks a bit spindley; but the rest of it looks pretty solid. Good luck!

So here is the complete rig:

IMG_3277_zpst4va8em5.jpg

And here is my first result:

Orion_zpsie9avqyk.jpg

This is a single frame image from Canon 750D (T6i) at 400mm, ISO 1600, f7.1 for 15 seconds. Some minor Photoshop adjustments. Seeing conditions were marginal at best with major light pollution from the city. I used the mount in Alt/Az mode. Next time I will put it on the wedge.

Archived