Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

todd8137

Vallis Alps sun rise

Hi all after a couple chats with a great  artists/teacher mr ken jones a local guy and  great advice on sketching I decided to get the sun rise over the Vallis Alps,I used the charcoals  and conte pencils as I waited a few hours for the shadows to take the shape they did I was amazed by it yet again the valley being 110km long and around 10km wide I took a few,snaps,to get diferent contrast  my chats payed i did not  get to finish it as the temperature dropped and the cold got the better of me 

keep looking up 

pat

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by todd8137
  • Like 16

Wow! Excellent sketches. Well done! :) Great technic! 

• Like 1

Super rendition capturing the jagged peaks perfectly. I took my own images recently of a very similar view but the sketches are truly spectacular and very representative.  Enjoyable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! Excellent sketches. Well done! :) Great technic! 

Thanks for,your kind comment 

pat

16 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Super rendition capturing the jagged peaks perfectly. I took my own images recently of a very similar view but the sketches are truly spectacular and very representative.  Enjoyable.

Thanks for your kind words,

pat 

Wow. Those really are lovely sketches. Captured the shadows so well. A real feeling of depth there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Wow. Those really are lovely sketches. Captured the shadows so well. A real feeling of depth there.

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

I enjoyed those Todd, well done and thanks for sharing.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, jabeoo1 said:

Brilliant work !

1 hour ago, jabeoo1 said:

Brilliant work !

Thanks  

pat

Outstanding sketches Todd, really enjoyed the detail, thanks for posting

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StarSapling said:

Fantastic!

4 hours ago, Nick P said:

Outstanding sketches Todd, really enjoyed the detail, thanks for posting

Thanks 

pat

Thanks all again I intend to do the other side next time ,if there is a next time with this cloud

pat

Edited by todd8137

Superb. I have a love/hate relationship with drawing. I'm always sketching stuff but can never capture what I see in the eyepiece -. Whereas you clearly can. Well done

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bish said:

Superb. I have a love/hate relationship with drawing. I'm always sketching stuff but can never capture what I see in the eyepiece -. Whereas you clearly can. Well done

Hi and thanks ,to start with drawings there's never a bad drawing  some one could draw a stick man,and another could draw a realistic looking man which is best ? Both are best  in my eyes and draw for your self and what you see,the biggest mistake is thinking it does not look like that through the ep ,mine don't if that's the case I always think mine look flat have have no depth ,what ise in the ep looks 3D but I only see flatness ,but what I do see is shadows and try to let them make my sketches  get that across. Try to catch that if you can and your already half way there later I will show you a few tricks that may help with a few sketching tips

pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, todd8137 said:

Hi and thanks ,to start with drawings there's never a bad drawing  some one could draw a stick man,and another could draw a realistic looking man which is best ? Both are best  in my eyes and draw for your self and what you see,the biggest mistake is thinking it does not look like that through the ep ,mine don't if that's the case I always think mine look flat have have no depth ,what ise in the ep looks 3D but I only see flatness ,but what I do see is shadows and try to let them make my sketches  get that across. Try to catch that if you can and your already half way there later I will show you a few tricks that may help with a few sketching tips

pat

Thanks Pat. I could do with some tips.

• Like 1

WOW, drawn to perfection absolutely love it thanks for sharing Richard

• Like 1