Narrowband

My Sixth Moon!

cloudsweeper

4.00am - glanced out - clear sky, so got set up.  Saturn was at about 14 degrees.  The rings were clear, as were the gaps between them and the planetary disc.  Aided by averted vision, I saw a small spot below and to the west - Titan!  So, after our Moon and the Galileans, that makes six.  Great progress!

Saturn and Mars were quite low, and the seeing poor since they did not respond well to magnification much above x107.  On top of that there was a bright gibbous Moon to the west, and then clouds closed observation down.  

All-in-all a short but very rewarding session.

Doug.

Yeah, I got up and eventually out at 5:45am. Seeing was poor. Mars was just a pale red disk, although larger than I expected it to be. Saturn's rings were nice and clear, and Titan easily observable below it. Short session, and now inside having an early breakfast and getting warm again. :) 

45 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Congratulations. Always a real boost to see something new.

Thanks!  I've seen Saturn a few times before, but since I was by the front gate in a dressing gown and woolly hat, I didn't want to spend long there, and didn't really take in what else was to be seen!

This time however, I found a vantage point in the middle of the garden lawn with a view south between low trees, so I was able to relax more and enjoy the view.

Doug.

In addition to Titan, with your Mak, you should be able to detect four additional Saturn moons.  The Sky & Telescope website has an app that will tell you which is which.  You will probably have to wait until Saturn is higher in the sky though.

16 minutes ago, StarSapling said:

In addition to Titan, with your Mak, you should be able to detect four additional Saturn moons.  The Sky & Telescope website has an app that will tell you which is which.  You will probably have to wait until Saturn is higher in the sky though.

Thanks, yes, I'll have a go at Tethys, Dione, and Rhea when Saturn is higher and there isn't so much Moonglow!

Stellarium also identifies bodies whose positions I've noted through the EP.  Its instant lateral inversion feature is very helpful for this!

Doug.

Archived