Narrowband

In need of electronic PCB soldering repair advice !

Hello,

Long story but my cooled DSL has a USB connection has gone kaput, but I don't know how to fix, or rather feel skilled enough to try. I have managed to isolate the board, but need to know of anyone who is able to replace the USB connector. So the problem item is the silver rectangular bit in the first photo, and the second photo shows the 4 cicular solder holes. The third photo shows how it is mounted. Any suggestions on what the part is, and or who can fix this please let me know, - otherwise I have a expensive camera now not working because of a USB connector.

Thanks

Alistair.

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Modern multi layered boards are difficult to repair without some quite sophisticated equipment its probably even worse if they are using lead free solder so I would send it away to an expert company as suggested above.  If you can take some measurements of the USB connectors pin spacing etc  and find a replacement it should help to save you a fair proportion of any repair costs.

Alan

Hmm -it's not actually from the camera, it's the board from the attached cooler - so non standard to Canon. The port looks like a simple fix, but I don't seem to be able to find one exactly the same on the internet. The are companies that do fixes for specific brands but not one off circuits. Seems like a £5 fix, but can't think of (or find) anyone that would want to take a look. Skipper Billy I will try your suggestion, but my problem might be too small and obscure for them to bother I expect.

The main problem I see it that is a mini b, though the hole USB, - but the wiring configuration when attached to the main board can be different between models. You can't see tha in the pictures. The part has 80624 printed on it, but I cannot match that anywhere.

Thanks

Alistair

roblegion - that's what I was thinking. Looking more in to it a bit more the soldering issue it probably the main one. There are five slivers of metal that are connected to the board, - each wire not more than the with of a pin in size. Think there is a technique called 'micro soldering' - so I think I need someone who can do that sort of work.

Thanks

Yeah you're right. It's just modern technology, the parts are getting smaller. I can do small stuff, but I wouldn't like to attempt a whole board,.

It isn't impossible, just takes time and a lot of concentration, or solder paste, an oven and faith:icon_biggrin:

How have you diagnosed the USB connector is actually at fault?  It looks pretty OK in your pictures, it's still attached to the board and the 5 lines look ok, anyone with a soldering iron and some solder wick can put a new one of those on, they are about 50p or less from RS.

To my original question, how did you diagnose that connector? Is it intermittent if you wiggle the USB lead? Looks like the front of the board got pretty wet.

Yeah try and find a local electronics repair place that can do surface mounted component repair. I've had a similar problem with my Star Adventure. I got some mini usb sockets from Ebay and tried to repair it myself but it's very tricky and I've put it to one side for now...

Louise

4 minutes ago, John78 said:

I did that but I suspect it wasn't sufficient as the Star Adventurer won't run from usb power. Maybe some damage to the pcb tracks as well. I'll look at it again when I'm in the mood...

Thanks

Louise

9 hours ago, AlistairW said:

Hmm -it's not actually from the camera, it's the board from the attached cooler - so non standard to Canon. The port looks like a simple fix, but I don't seem to be able to find one exactly the same on the internet. The are companies that do fixes for specific brands but not one off circuits. Seems like a £5 fix, but can't think of (or find) anyone that would want to take a look. Skipper Billy I will try your suggestion, but my problem might be too small and obscure for them to bother I expect.

The main problem I see it that is a mini b, though the hole USB, - but the wiring configuration when attached to the main board can be different between models. You can't see tha in the pictures. The part has 80624 printed on it, but I cannot match that anywhere.

Thanks

Alistair

To remove components that have a relatively high thermal mass it is often easier to cut them up with side cutters so that each leg is isolated.

Alan

You could try a voltmeter and see if the 5v is getting through, pin 1.  Experience would tell me the connectors are good, the boards are not, so maybe the USB leads leverage has fractured or delaminated the track.

9 hours ago, John78 said:

You could try a voltmeter and see if the 5v is getting through, pin 1.  Experience would tell me the connectors are good, the boards are not, so maybe the USB leads leverage has fractured or delaminated the track.

John 78 has offered good advice.  With a DVM on the ohms function and a printers or jewelers loupe, you should be able to find the source of your problem.  A cold solder joint or a cracked trace is usually the culprit. If the connector is at fault you should see that too.  I very rarely replace components until I can see or measure their fault.  I also like to get the thing plugged in and set up so that I can flex the board one way and another to see if it will work intermittently.  The fix might be very simple.

go on the canon website & look for their repair centres you should be able to buy a usb from them, BTW  i have the same/ similar problem but i have sent mine to a place in stoke on trent to be cleaned,  repaired & serviced (£130.00).

Archived