Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

Grierson

Another Newbie!

Good evening from York. Total newcomer to this fascinating world having read 'Making Every Photon Count' and attended a short course. No telescope at the moment as I still can't decide between refractor and reflector but as Steve Richards suggests that the mount is the key bit of kit I have just had an EQ5 delivered from FLO for which I have a couple of questions which I will post on the appropriate board. Looking forward to meeting everyone. - John (aka Grierson) p.s. Sorry about the quality of the avatar! 

Edited by Grierson
  • Like 1

Hi John, and welcome to SGL :)

The EQ5 is a good bit of kit, sturdy enough for a lot of 'scopes and light enough to be reasonably portable. Have you joined any of the local astro groups? I can thoroughly recommend it if you haven't already.

Hi John and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and also that you have read the 'Imaging Bible' ...... Well done that man :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi John welcome, don't worry about the avatar..that's a nice looking pooch.

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I will hopefully join a group in due course but I'm currently not sure if there are any in this area BritAngler.

25 minutes ago, Grierson said:

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I will hopefully join a group in due course but I'm currently not sure if there are any in this area BritAngler.

Hi and welcome from a fellow Yorkshire newbie.  This site is fantastic with so many experienced amateur astronomers and probably a few professional ones too. 

There is a club in Beverley but they're not meeting for a few months.  I've not been yet but sure it's great.  Pretty sure there'll be one nearer York.

Edited by Peco4321

Hi John and welcome to the forum

Clear skies

Hi John,

Welcome to the SGL.  I also have  the the EQ5, an nice bit of kit.

I'm still meaning to get a copy of "Making Every Photon Count", so you're ahead of me on that one!

John

Greetings, John, and welcome aboard SGL - it's nice of you to join us!

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

Welcome to SGL!

I'm a big fan of the EQ5. Its light, simple to use, well equipped (with polar scope and decent counterweights), takes a decent payload for the price and is easily upgradable.

Mine still sees use with a Mak placed on it!

Dan. :happy72:

Has slow motion controls I think great for observing if you don't have motors.

Hi John and welcome to SGL, what part of the York area do you live in ? York has a very active Astronomical Soc and some nice scopes you can borrow, once you have become established in the group. Enjoy the forum :)

Again many thanks. This is clearly a very friendly forum and the welcome is greatly appreciated. John, I live in Haxby and I will look up the group, thanks.

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL, John. Nothing wrong with your avatar either. Nice looking dog. :)

~Eric (aka Connacht)