Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Newbie!

Grierson

Good evening from York. Total newcomer to this fascinating world having read 'Making Every Photon Count' and attended a short course. No telescope at the moment as I still can't decide between refractor and reflector but as Steve Richards suggests that the mount is the key bit of kit I have just had an EQ5 delivered from FLO for which I have a couple of questions which I will post on the appropriate board. Looking forward to meeting everyone. - John (aka Grierson) p.s. Sorry about the quality of the avatar! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John, and welcome to SGL :)

The EQ5 is a good bit of kit, sturdy enough for a lot of 'scopes and light enough to be reasonably portable. Have you joined any of the local astro groups? I can thoroughly recommend it if you haven't already.

25 minutes ago, Grierson said:

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I will hopefully join a group in due course but I'm currently not sure if there are any in this area BritAngler.

Hi and welcome from a fellow Yorkshire newbie.  This site is fantastic with so many experienced amateur astronomers and probably a few professional ones too. 

There is a club in Beverley but they're not meeting for a few months.  I've not been yet but sure it's great.  Pretty sure there'll be one nearer York.

Hi John and welcome to SGL, what part of the York area do you live in ? York has a very active Astronomical Soc and some nice scopes you can borrow, once you have become established in the group. Enjoy the forum :)

Archived