Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Something a little different!!

steppenwolf

4 hours ago, MAN or ASTROMAN said:

Maybe they should have included the sound of Bagpipes on that Gold plated Record that Pioneer carries.*

* " Available from RONCO - Remember these records aren't available in the shops"

Who also remembers those T.V. adverts from about the time that Pioneer was launched?

Seriously, the Gold record contained sounds to represent the life and cultures of the Earth,and included  Bach,Whale sounds and Chuck Berry.

So to include Bagpipe music wouldn't have been as wild a choice as it initially appears.

Afteral, they are a very culturally wide-ranging  family of instruments,and have a very long lineage.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been away from home and with only rare moments of Internet connection since starting this thread but thank you all for your comments.

Bagpipes as a warning siren for clear skies at SGL star parties? Well they would be difficult to sleep through, that's for sure! Definitely an outside instrument as already suggested.

Bagpipes on the gold disk? Well they can trace their use back about 3,000 years so the heritage is there but this would have been to ancient Egypt. The Scottish connection is much more recent - perhaps 400 years or so? It feels like it will take me 400 years to master them!!

I think of the pipes as being a 'Marmite instrument' - you either love 'em or hate 'em - so I am delighted to read such positive comments?

Archived