SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Mapstar 22" build

mapstar

6 minutes ago, mapstar said:

O.k. all thanks for the kind words.

I think its time the scope pics were on so here are just a few hot off the camera

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9116.JPG

More shots next post

that looks very very good, just picking my jaw up now

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, estwing said:

Very nice sir...a job well done...clear skies mate 

Thanks Calv. Seems an age since we chatted at PSP. I'd just polished the mirror for the first time 

On 3/23/2016 at 21:58, wookie1965 said:

This scope is going to be awesome pity ere not going Buxton so i could see it and through it.

I have seen  through it !! its absolutely fantastic, Damian just needs to make some steps now to complete the job lol 

• Like 1

The pictures look awesome buddy, but to fully appreciate it you have to see it in the flesh! It is an amazing piece of kit, a big well done on an immense project and labour of love! We've all been with you all the way willing you on, feeling your pain and your joy. You now deserve some very clear skies to enjoy it. I don't think anyone on here would mind giving you their share of clear skies so you could enjoy it, a long as they got a quick look through that is ;)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

I have seen  through it !! its absolutely fantastic, Damian just needs to make some steps now to complete the job lol 

They're on order Eric no worries 

14 minutes ago, Soupy said:

The pictures look awesome buddy, but to fully appreciate it you have to see it in the flesh! It is an amazing piece of kit, a big well done on an immense project and labour of love! We've all been with you all the way willing you on, feeling your pain and your joy. You now deserve some very clear skies to enjoy it. I don't think anyone on here would mind giving you their share of clear skies so you could enjoy it, a long as they got a quick look through that is ;)

Thanks for the kind words buddy, will always remember first light on the patio and being blown away by M35. Memorable moment and the culmination of three years commitment 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, niallk said:

Amazing looking - beautiful job!

Many thanks niallk and after so many months its a pleasure to finally post so everyone can see it 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 1

She's a beauty Damian,expert craftsmanship, detail is superb,nothing less then professional quality and finish.

Bravo...

are we going to see a new telescope making business in the near future? you would have no problem selling with

quality like this.

Rick

Edited by JRM
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

She's a beauty Damian,expert craftsmanship, detail is superb,nothing less then professional quality and finish.

Bravo...

are we going to see a new telescope making business in the near future? you would have no problem selling with

quailty like tihs.

Rick

Thank you very much Rick for the kind word's. 

I'm not sure about a business venture but I'm quickly becoming a consultant on such projects. I've been on with designing a cell for a 20" lately for an amateur on here. 

Hope to be seeing yours take shape very soon as I will be watching with interest and encouragement. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Physopto said:

You had better be at Galloway in October. I need to have a look see.   :cwm21:

Looks  the bees knees !

Then again knew it would.

All being well Derek I'm already booked 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Fantastic piece of work, Damian.

It looks totally professional and most of all it doesn't have an 'over-engineered' appearance.

Next? 26" mirror on an EQ mount?

Thank you Neil for the kind comment's. Fastening every pole at either end make's for a very rigid structure which belies the light look. The top's have the cycle hub skewers. The bottom is locked up with a 4mm allen key on each of the truss end clevis's, the alt bearings have a small bushed hole through them to get to the lower front side tube clevis

There's only one thing wrong now :clouds1:

2 minutes ago, PBS said:

A magnificent project - congrats on producing such a fine instrument :)

I hope your partial to vodka... :evil::grin: 

Peter...

Many thanks for looking and commenting Pete. I've had quite a few drinks to celebrate :happy3:

Edited by mapstar

Thank you for taking the trouble to detail all your ups and downs in so much detail.

Well done on completing a fantastic scope.

I've followed this thread together with your mirror grind and am delighted to see the finished product and wish you many well earned clear skies and happy hours observing.

• Like 1