Oh no another which mount thread

Davey-T

Time to get a decent trouble free imaging mount as I'm getting too old to waste any more clear skies.
Having stabilised my portable imaging rig at about 30lbs I am now in the market for a reliable mount.

Usual short list 10Micron GM1000HPS, Paramount MYT, Mesu200.

My weapon of choice would be the 10Micron but not sure if it lends itself to a portable setup may be issues with stability after modelling the sky.

Mesu200, 2nd choice mainly from Olly keep banging on about how wonderful they are :)

MYT seems OK but not sure about the need for Bisque software.

So is any one using a 10Micron 1000 as a portable setup and if so what have they got it mounted on ?

Dave

I have just been in this dilemma - Kind of.... I was considering a Paramount, 10Micron and Mesu. You know that if you get a Mesu Lucas can make one that will split into two so that it's more portable?

I was looking at the larger 2000HMS and the Paramount MX+ ..... In the end I went for the Mesu as I couldn't justify the extra money (£3k plus) for the Paramount and 10Micron. For value for money the Mesu is hard to beat in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Thanks Sara,

The 10Micron would be a no brainer for a permanent setup but not sure about portability.

Dave

Maybe I have no brain (this is perfectly possible...) but I do not think that these decisions are no brainers. I have a Mesu myself, I host another Mesu, and I also host three 10 Microns. They are all operating within twenty metres of my bedroom. Without going into the details, I don't see anything remotely straightforward about the choice based on what I've seen. I'm considering a second premium mount for my setups here. I'd love it to be a no brainer but it isn't.  For all that, when you have a mount that works - just works, like a refractor just works - you'd have to have a damned good reason to change. I can't find such a reason, but I'm not running robotically and don't mind guiding.

Dave, I think you have it the wrong way round. The 10M has more advantges over the Meus in portable mode than in permanent. Well, so it seems to me.

Mounts are big things and choosing a transatlantic manufacturer when you are in Europe seems like a big decision to me.

Olly

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

Maybe I have no brain (this is perfectly possible...) but I do not think that these decisions are no brainers. I have a Mesu myself, I host another Mesu, and I also host three 10 Microns. They are all operating within twenty metres of my bedroom. Without going into the details, I don't see anything remotely straightforward about the choice based on what I've seen. I'm considering a second premium mount for my setups here. I'd love it to be a no brainer but it isn't.  For all that, when you have a mount that works - just works, like a refractor just works - you'd have to have a damned good reason to change. I can't find such a reason, but I'm not running robotically and don't mind guiding.

Dave, I think you have it the wrong way round. The 10M has more advantges over the Mesu in portable mode than in permanent. Well, so it seems to me.

Mounts are big things and choosing a transatlantic manufacturer when you are in Europe seems like a big decision to me.

Olly

The mesu has the motors protruding from the case. When mine was originally delivered the delivery company dropped it, there was a mark on the mount and one of the motors slipped when slewing.

It's worth noting that it may be vulnerable to damage if heavily dropped, depending on how it lands. Those motors would concern me if i had to lug the mount around a lot.

The 10Micron mounts are perfect for portable use if you have a stable tripod. They are extremely quick to assemble, immune to poor polar alignment, and they can perform the modeling of the sky thing in twilight. Wit a  decent refractor (as in stable focuser/imaging train) you will get unguided imaging going perfectly well before astronomical darkness, and you will be loaded by nice coffee and have dinner while it is doing the modeling.

The 1000 is really portable, and if you get the UP (ultra portable) version of the 2000 it is equally portable. These mounts both have a single cable to the mount so really easy to set up and get ready. Tony Cook, "Tonk", has used his GM1000HPS portable for a long time now and he doesn't even use a computer. He does a model with an astrometric eye-piece and gets the setup and model done in less than half an hour, after which he does unguided imaging with DSLR and an intervalometer.

I have had very little time to use my 10Micron mounts (3 in total) in portable setups, but I initially used my forst GM2000HPS UP on the balcony in a portable manner with the Centaur tripod. I have used the 1000 in the same way a few times and there have been no issues. iT is dead simple.

The MyT will, as stated above, force to use some of Bisque's software, but I am sure it is a fine mount. The Mesu, of which I have seen two in action, are exceptional mounts but lends themselves less to portable use as I see it.

In conclusion, the 10Micron is perfectly suited for partable use for sure.

/per

I agree wth Per. The Mesu is marginal in terms of portability and, as Neil C said, has some vulnerabiltiy in portable mode. I have one which visits by car, but for a week at a time. It's quite a beast to move around.

I do think it a shame that the Tak polar alignment system isn't more widespread, though. It really is stunningly quick and accurate using a polarscope with planisphere reticle and the time offset handled by a bubble level on the RA housing. I really can't see why it isn't an industry standard.

Olly

Come on, Olly... With the 10Micron you don't even have to BE well aligned. Just get it as close as your acceptance of field rotation requires. Remember my first holes in the pier? Polar alignment was 52' - that's ARC-MINUTES - off and stars were as round as ever. Some cropping had to be made though... First sub of the evening was quite a bit rotated compared to the last (or the other way around; whatever).

/per

Thanks Per, that's reassuring, Ian is a bit worried that if I buy one I will complain to him if it turns out not to be suitable for portable use :argue:

Do you know which tripod Tony uses ?

Dave

When I take my gm1000 to star parties I just use my old EQ6 tripod. It would be nice to have one of the ash Baader etc tripods but the miser in me prohibits me spending 500 odd quid on something I could make, if I had the time.

The Gm1000 is extremely portable, and the features all have weather resistant covers, including the handset, control box, and mount head. Get a GPS unit for it, easily converted for a few pounds off ebay.

As Per said, PA can be done in minutes very accurately :)

11 hours ago, perfrej said:

Come on, Olly... With the 10Micron you don't even have to BE well aligned. Just get it as close as your acceptance of field rotation requires. Remember my first holes in the pier? Polar alignment was 52' - that's ARC-MINUTES - off and stars were as round as ever. Some cropping had to be made though... First sub of the evening was quite a bit rotated compared to the last (or the other way around; whatever).

/per

But why not use the Tak polarscope system? You quite literally need 90 seconds to be good enough for half hour subs. It's just so simple, yet only Tak (and Vixen on the Atlux, I think) use this system. I just can't see why one wouldn't use it. Its elegance is breathtaking.

Olly

I see on the Mesu forum that there is now a bracket that allows one to stick a QHY Polemaster on the Mesu.  This system claims great accuracy and seems quick on the videos I have seen.

[Stands well back after having lit the blue touch paper......]

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

I see on the Mesu forum that there is now a bracket that allows one to stick a QHY Polemaster on the Mesu.  This system claims great accuracy and seems quick on the videos I have seen.

[Stands well back after having lit the blue touch paper......]

I'm quite happy with PHD drift aligning thingy, just wish it had a zoom in function for people with less than perfect eyesight :)

Dave

4 hours ago, Tim said:

When I take my gm1000 to star parties I just use my old EQ6 tripod. It would be nice to have one of the ash Baader etc tripods but the miser in me prohibits me spending 500 odd quid on something I could make, if I had the time.

The Gm1000 is extremely portable, and the features all have weather resistant covers, including the handset, control box, and mount head. Get a GPS unit for it, easily converted for a few pounds off ebay.

As Per said, PA can be done in minutes very accurately :)

I bought a GPS unit as I did not know they could be converted. Two different programs to run the ones I have ( ancient  GPS + new one)

I also got Per's StickStation. Just makes life a bit easier. The "if I had the time" just about sums it up for me! :glasses12:

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

I pretend the Mesu is portable, it's Ok while in the flightcase (which has castors) but I'm at my limit lifting it into the back of the car, and I'm very relieved after lifting out of the case and onto the pier without a mishap.

I can't wait to have a permanent Obs but under a decent sky.

image.jpg

Archived