SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 22/3 slowly getting better

yelsac

Really struggling to get to grips with the new setup. Very (VERY) slowly adapting to using the 10" reflector with the QHY5L-IIc

Finally getting used to Firecapture just don't get enough opportunities to experiment with the stinking clouds/jetstream

1.jpg.60c372f039e8b0a001d3c9ea16c24f2e.j

Still can't seem to get sharper images not to sure if its the seeing or if I'm struggling with getting focus any tips would be great

My AVI's or SER files seem to be shaking to much to my eye even after going through PIPP, might be the old rack & pinion focuser which has a lot of movement in it

Also I take 2-3 min vids would it be worth derotating in winjup?

thanks for looking

Very good pict. Nothing but rubbish weather here ,on the south coast.,

36 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Looking pretty good to me. What Barlow are you using? The AVI might look shaky after running it through PIPP especially if you have used the estimate quality option.

Y does it do that Pete. I thought there was something wrong some ware. Still getting to grips with PIPP.

Steve.

45 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

You are on the right tracks Yelsac! Looks like poor seeing to me but if your focuser has slop that will effect collimation.

I've never heard of pipp producing shaky images. Bad seeing does that.

Some of my images, really shake bad , after going through PIPP. Thought it was normal. Could not figure out Y.

Difficult to explain, but when I sometimes use the quality estimation because there are effectively gaps between the frames it can look like juddering/shaking. Perhaps not a explanation?

The seeing comes and goes at a certain rate, when I keep 1200 out of 3000 it looks like seeing is more changeable?

Not I think that it is a problem, more just an observation.

How many frames are you getting per run.

3 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Looking pretty good to me. What Barlow are you using? The AVI might look shaky after running it through PIPP especially if you have used the estimate quality option.

Hi I was using a revelation 2.5x Barlow with a standard x2 barlow with the camera in it to give roughly x5. I know thats pushing it a bit but even just using the 2.5x barlow haven't got much detail. The Jetstream seems to have been sitting right above the Isle of Wight form months!

That makes sense about using the estimate quality option. With regards to frames I'm getting around 6500 at 50fps or 9000 depending if its a 2-3 minute recording

44 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Would be interesting to see an example of this shaking. If the video is very dark it can cause problems for pipp to perfectly centre each frame.

Stuart

With regards to the shaking I could dropbox a vid if you like, I think the point I was trying to make is the movement in the original video seems very unstable compared with a similar video taken with exactly the same setup but with the old SPC900 camera. I know the QHY5 is more sensative & there are many more frames but I'm just trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong.

I meant to ask you how do you get your images so big? The pics you did with the little QHY5L-IIc & 5x barlow were so much bigger than what I'm getting. Did you use 1.5 drizzle in AS2?

Thanks

Yelsac

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

Difficult to explain, but when I sometimes use the quality estimation because there are effectively gaps between the frames it can look like juddering/shaking. Perhaps not a explanation?

The seeing comes and goes at a certain rate, when I keep 1200 out of 3000 it looks like seeing is more changeable?

Not I think that it is a problem, more just an observation.

How many frames are you getting per run.

I have seen this effect before. It jumps up and down doesn't it. Its some kind of malfunction. What I don't know though. Mine hasn't done it for ages. Maybe Chris Knows. I suspect its not Pipp related at all, the program is very good indeed

5 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Would be interesting to see an example of this shaking. If the video is very dark it can cause problems for pipp to perfectly centre each frame.

I have got a video here Stuart, but it is 263mb. Any way of sending it.

No worries, the best way is to quality select say 1000 frames in pipp that have been cropped and then in output options select MPEG lossy compression at quality of 10. "Use same frame rate as input video" should be ticked. When processed you should have a video of around 6MBs which can be zipped and attached to this thread.

5 hours ago, yelsac said:

Stuart

With regards to the shaking I could dropbox a vid if you like, I think the point I was trying to make is the movement in the original video seems very unstable compared with a similar video taken with exactly the same setup but with the old SPC900 camera. I know the QHY5 is more sensative & there are many more frames but I'm just trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong.

I meant to ask you how do you get your images so big? The pics you did with the little QHY5L-IIc & 5x barlow were so much bigger than what I'm getting. Did you use 1.5 drizzle in AS2?

Thanks

Yelsac

I think you are pushing the fl too much using a 5x barlow yelsac. I always used a 3x barlow with extension tube (2x sw barlow with lens removed) with the qhy. I tried 5x with the ASI224MC last week in good seeing and it was too much. The images i'd taken using less fl were far better.

Sometimes I use 1.5x drizzle or simply upscale the image 1.5x after processing.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

I think you are pushing the fl too much using a 5x barlow yelsac. I always used a 3x barlow with extension tube (2x sw barlow with lens removed) with the qhy. I tried 5x with the ASI224MC last week in good seeing and it was too much. The images i'd taken using less fl were far better.

Sometimes I use 1.5x drizzle or simply upscale the image 1.5x after processing.

Thanks for the advice I'll try that next time out.

I must admit after looking at your flicker pics it tempted me to get the 10" scope & QHY5L-IIc, I love the detail you were able to get at f18 but particularily at f26. I know time is running out with Jupiter getting lower every year but i'd love to get some detail on one of Jupiters moons like you did.

thanks again.

It's nice to hear my images have inspired you Yelsac. I was inspired by Neil's images when I first started this hobby which led me to purchase the 10" DOB.

I must emphasise that those f26 shots on my flikr page were taken with my DFK which has the larger pixels. I wouldn't go much higher than f20 with the qhy.

5 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

It's nice to hear my images have inspired you Yelsac. I was inspired by Neil's images when I first started this hobby which led me to purchase the 10" DOB.

I must emphasise that those f26 shots on my flikr page were taken with my DFK which has the larger pixels. I wouldn't go much higher than f20 with the qhy.

Once again thanks for the advice, I think I might have had the gain up to high i was at 900 in firecapture for the last pic!

I love experimenting so I'll keep trying looks like it might be a clear one tonight!

Forgive my ignorance which Neil is it, I'd like to have a peek!

13 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Cheers for the plug Stuart. I should warn people. I made the website many years ago, and although there was some ads on there, its got worse as the years have go by. Its also a bit haphazard. Just haven't got around to creating a new one. So apologies for the annoyance. Sorry for the sidetrack  yelsac.

Back on topic Guys

Archived