Narrowband

Help!! electronics expert needed

martin_h

I am trying to build a fan/motor controller I have a circuit board that outputs a PWM signal and am using the attached circuit.... But because the PWM output is open collector the control action is reversed ie a pwm of 0 is full on and a pwm of 255 is off.

Can anyone suggest anyway of inverting the control signal. I have tried using a single transistor as an inverter but for some reason  it doesn't work....welll it works if I short the first transistor base to +ve, but the PWM doesn't drive it

Any help gratefully received.

circuit 01.jpg

inverted circuit.jpg

Since the PWM output is open collector, a pull-up resistor will be required on the output to switch the BC108 on.

I wouldn't expect a BC108 to survive having its base shorted to +12V with emitter connected to GND or did you mean to say that you shorted the 10k resistor to +12V?

8 hours ago, Icosahedron said:

Since the PWM output is open collector, a pull-up resistor will be required on the output to switch the BC108 on.

I wouldn't expect a BC108 to survive having its base shorted to +12V with emitter connected to GND or did you mean to say that you shorted the 10k resistor to +12V?

I did wonder about the pull up resistor......... and yes I shorted it through its base resistor, there are a few things I can still remember from the dim and distant past.

Hi Martin

If the drive is open collector, you need a pull up to the first transistor. The 10k will do. The input can then be connected directly to the output of the PWM.

cheers

gaj

BTW, PWM control of a fan may well result in the fan 'singing\whining' due to the square wave nature of the applied signal, it would be better to a true variable DC controller, e.g. something based on the LM317 chip....

Archived