Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well and truly flocked!

Hi everyone,

Today I decided to throw caution to the wind and open up my little scope and try to eliminate the internal reflections I'd been suffering from:

Luckily the corrector doesn't need to be removed from the Omni 127 (C5) as the front assembly can be removed as a complete unit. This makes realigning the corrector a non issue.

I thought while it's in bits it would be a good idea to flock pretty much everything I could, so I did :icon_biggrin:

The only thing I'm worried about is that the primary mirror is not exactly held firmly and rotates. Yep, you guessed it, I rotated it!

Now I think I've got it pretty much where it was (there's no marks to align to that I could see), but it could well be a few degrees out.

I've tested it in the daylight and all seems to be ok. I'll give a test on a star tonight if the cloud gods permit.

If I do have problems, what are they likely to be? and how do I realign the mirror if I need to?

Many thanks to you all 

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

Well then. I just had a quick chance in between clouds to test out my scope.

The flocking works wonderfully! No internal reflections at all. Where before if there was a bright object just out of view, rings would arch in from that object. Now, nothing, just black. Really pleased with the result.

However, I tried to tweak the collimation a little and the secondary housing rotated in the corrector. Brilliant! I didn't remove the corrector or the secondary earlier so this was the last thing I expected to happen.

My plan now is to completely strip the scope, tighten the primary as it is free to rotate and there has always been a bit of flop, and tighten the secondary housing. Also try to find some markings and get everything aligned and centred as it should be.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :icon_biggrin:

Archived