Narrowband

How far we have progressed with our photography

pyrasanth

It is truly awe inspiring how far we have progressed with imaging equipment & processing techniques. Whilst I was doing a bit of research I came across this site, http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/exhibit2.html, and whilst being somewhat old it really demonstrates how far we have moved ahead. The author displays his work with a level of achievement attributable to an Olympic athlete but most of the pictures presented could now be bettered with a very low cost smart phone camera- I wonder what direction imaging will takes us in another 15 years?  

This post is not meant to ridicule in any way those earlier pioneers they did the very best with the equipment on hand as we do now & that spirit will never die despite the advances being made.

Yes, that is what put me off astrophotography for so long. A pity for me that I had to wait until being well past fifty before the time was right (and I had the money to spend). So I am in a hurry now!

On 22/03/2016 at 02:19, physicus said:

It's almost too easy now.  I guess the big 'ceiling' we are banging up against today is seeing; not sure how surmountable that will be for amateurs ?

How soon before low cost adaptive optics come on the market? That would be the next big advance IMO

16 hours ago, gremlin750 said:

How soon before low cost adaptive optics come on the market? That would be the next big advance IMO

One of the pioneers of AO for amateur-sized telescopes, formally retired but still active, is working on an AO system that addresss not only the Tip-Tilt which current commercially available units provide, but also defocus and two astigmatism terms. See here:

http://www.stellarproducts.com/adaptive/AO5lit.htm

On 21/03/2016 at 20:23, pyrasanth said:

It is truly awe inspiring how far we have progressed with imaging equipment & processing techniques. Whilst I was doing a bit of research I came across this site, http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astro/exhibit2.html, and whilst being somewhat old it really demonstrates how far we have moved ahead. The author displays his work with a level of achievement attributable to an Olympic athlete but most of the pictures presented could now be bettered with a very low cost smart phone camera- I wonder what direction imaging will takes us in another 15 years?  

This post is not meant to ridicule in any way those earlier pioneers they did the very best with the equipment on hand as we do now & that spirit will never die despite the advances being made.

It's truly amazing how far AP has come over the last few years. Not only that, but it's now so accessible to anyone with a decent scope and some budget camera equipment.

On 22/03/2016 at 02:19, physicus said:

It's almost too easy now.  I guess the big 'ceiling' we are banging up against today is seeing; not sure how surmountable that will be for amateurs ?

I agree wholeheartedly mate. The digital revolution has made AP easy and within the reach of most anyone who cares to have a go at AP.

In the days of film when every shot was a one off, there was no stacking or removal of bad subs etc it had to be right first time. Same with general photo processing where you can take 100 shots, select the best and post process it at the comfort of your own keyboard. Read through pre millennium photo mags and you'll be astounded at the work involved in producing an "arty" print. I also think that contrary to the idea that this has removed the craft from photography it has encouraged those genuinely keen ( as opposed to casual snappers ) to consider more the details of producing the original pre processed shot.

Archived