SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Refractor or Mak with Baader Solar Film?

DevonSkies

I'm interested in dipping my toe into white light solar using Baader solar film. I'll probably buy one of the ready made Astrozap full aperture filters sold by FLO.

I have a Startravel 102 f/5 refractor and a 127mm f/12 Maksutov. I was wondering which would be the preferred option for white light solar? As I'm thinking of buying a ready made filter I need to choose which scope to use so that I get the right size.

Thanks for any opinions!

The Mak would be better I would think. Native focal length is not really much of an issue, but the chromatic and spherical aberration of the StarTravel, and its smaller aperture are certainly issues. The chromatic aberration could be dealt with by a Solar Continuum filter, but in that case I would prefer a Herschel wedge (not suitable for the Mak!).

I did this with my ST102 some years back using full aperture home made solar filter.

12257464146_20845cc8eb_o.thumb.jpg.c50bb

I thought it came out pretty good at the time.

this one was with a 200p dob, same cropped sensor camera on both

10003973874_9cef5138d2_o.thumb.jpg.3b45c

Thanks for the input. Good point about the imaging FoV, I hadn't considered that. I only have a micro 4/3 camera at the moment, which is slightly smaller than APS-C so won't quite capture the full disc with the Mak. In other respects, though, the Mak sounds like a better option.

Archived