SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Worth getting g?

g30rg313

I've seen a scope with no tripod and no finderscope.   However, with it being slightly smaller diameter and length than the one i already have i am wondering if it will be worth getting.  Im thinking it might be handy for portability and maybe better for astrophotography with the f ratio being lower than mine.  Im just unsure whether it will attach to my mount as i have a AZ goto mount.  I'm really in a quandary here guys.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191829811957&alt=web 

I personaly wouldn't touch it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Returns:

Seller does not offer returns. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new window or tab if you received an item that is not as described in the listing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'd suggest buying from a reputable dealer in the event something goes wrong. But it would help us if you would explain what exactly you have in mind for such.

My 2¢,

Dave

Ditto on that. There's a very good reason people buy the 130 PDS for imaging. It works!

Also if you have any thoughts at all about imaging, or even wondering why it's such a money-pit get yourself this book

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Steve also posts on here as Steppenwolf.

Oh, and if you want something portable - keep an eye out on Astroboot - they often have cheap refractors that would be good for grab and go visual - there is a SW Heritage 130P on there at the moment for £45, which is very portable....

But definitely check out the book above before thinking about astrophotography...

The BIrd-Jones types such as this one should be avoided at all costs. They combine the disadvantages of a fast Newtonian (comparatively large secondary due to fast primary) with the disadvantages of a slow Newtonian (small field of view), and for an encore add further collimation problems.

I haven't a barge pole long enough

Thank you everyone for your informative and grounding views.  I have been suitably calmed and will not rush into anything I may regret later.  I'm going to do a lot more research and take my time to decide exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm wanting something that I can easily take with me when I travel on a train to visit my sister in Liverpool.  I would love to share the astronomy experience with her as I know she is interested too and cannot afford a scope for herself.

Archived