Narrowband

Recommended Canon lenses for use with a CCD?

wuthton

Could anyone recommend a Canon EF fit prime lens in the 50mm (preferred)  to 100mm (will do)  range that will manually focus without a Canon body? Also I'd like to avoid needing a lay down in a darkened room after I've paid for it. 

I have a body to stop down the aperture but my 50mm will not focus once disconnected. 

You know that the pixel scale scale with big CCD pixels and 50mm FL really isn't going to be that nice? I used a Samyang 85 lens in Geoptik adapter with Atik 4000 cameras and, for a mosaic, it was OK because the final mosaic could be presented with each individual panel being shown at a fraction of full size. I think I only did one picture with it, a six panel Orion.

Olly

10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You know that the pixel scale scale with big CCD pixels and 50mm FL really isn't going to be that nice? I used a Samyang 85 lens in Geoptik adapter with Atik 4000 cameras and, for a mosaic, it was OK because the final mosaic could be presented with each individual panel being shown at a fraction of full size. I think I only did one picture with it, a six panel Orion.

Olly

It's somewhat of a trial at the moment, I've just treated myself to a G2-8300 and I was hoping to put my Atik 314L to service with a bit of piggyback widefield, it needs to be pretty wide as the main scope is dithering. I don't want to sell the Atik as I seem to regularly suffer from sellers remorse about a week later. I've taken some test shots with a borrowed 24mm which showed promise apart from some shocking reflections around the brighter stars which I believe would have been cured by stopping down.

I haven't quite got my head around the effect of the pixel scale being out off the ballpark other than maybe square stars and a loss of detail, would drizzle help or hinder do you think? It's going to be narrowband only, 10-20min subs.

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 50mm FD, with manual aperture and at £25 it's not the end of the world if it's a failure as I have all the other bits already. I am open to statements such as "What are you doing? It's a complete waste of time" or certainly "You'd be better off with THIS lens/focal length"

Drizzle is intended precisely to diminish the consequences of undersampling so it might work well for you. The 'look' I found using 7.2 micron pixels and 85mm FL was 'blocky' or grainy and coarse. It looked fine if shown at a very small percentage of full size, which is why it was good for mosaics, and narrowband looked considerably better tha BB because of the smaller stars. I never tried stopping the Samyang 85 down with an aperture mask but I found it worked brilliantly on a Canon 200L. Might be worth a try. It's easy to make them.

APERTURE%20MASK-M.jpg

Olly

21 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Drizzle is intended precisely to diminish the consequences of undersampling so it might work well for you. The 'look' I found using 7.2 micron pixels and 85mm FL was 'blocky' or grainy and coarse. It looked fine if shown at a very small percentage of full size, which is why it was good for mosaics, and narrowband looked considerably better tha BB because of the smaller stars. I never tried stopping the Samyang 85 down with an aperture mask but I found it worked brilliantly on a Canon 200L. Might be worth a try. It's easy to make them.

APERTURE%20MASK-M.jpg

Olly

Thanks for that, bottom line is suck it and see :binkybaby:.

I'll have a go with your aperture mask trick as the 5 element diaphragm is most likely not going to be pretty.

Archived