Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie q alert. About eyepices

Generally they are 1.25 inch eyepieces and all 1.25 inch eyepieces should fit the scope. :hello2:

What is the scope? Helps in suggesting the make/type and the focal length. Will say that an 8mm seems to do most things. A reasonable 8mm tends to be a bit more magnification then any supplied 10mm, they are usually better.

Also what do you want to view? If planets are a big aspect then maybe a 6mm. Again all depends on the scope.

I'm no expert but I believe that there are three fitting sizes where the eyepiece connects to the telescope. 2" 1.25" and there is an old size which is very rarely made which is under 1"  most eyepieces that are available are 1.25" or 2".  So I think that if your scope is a 1.25" then I think as long as you get a 1.25" eyepiece then you can use any 1.25" eyepiece.  Any focal length such as 8mm 14mm 32mm etc.

The two sizes that most EP's can come in are 1.25" & 2". The majority of people own mostly 1.25" EP's, and if their scope allows a 2" EP size also, then have 1 or 2 2" EP's also. Your telescope manual should tell you what size your focuser is to hold your EP's. If your scope only allows for 1.25" EP's then that is all you can use on your scope. If it also allows 2" EP's then with a 1.25" adapter you can use 1.25" EP's too.

What telescope do you have?

thanks for answers. :) 

i have a skywatcher bk 607, d 60mm, f700mm. the lenses that followed the pack was one super 10 mm, one super 20 mm, barlowlens and a 1,5 erecting eyepiece (that i have no ide what is.) this was a birthdaypresent. my family know that i love stars and planets. so i would verry much like to watch the planets. i have been watching Jupiter now, but it is blurry. i have been using all the tips and trix, the svope have been outside about 30 minutes before i used it, mye eyes are used to the darkness, i live far away from cityligths etc.

i also read somwhere here that the eyepices that follows a pack like this is of bad quality? the moon i can see good, using the green filter that came with so i dont have to get used to the darkness again. :)

Jupiter usually is blurry in all scopes due to the "wobbly" nature of the atmosphere we look through to view it. Occasionally it clears and appears perfect but only for a very quick second or two - and you have to be quick to catch it with the human eye. For the best chance pick a very clear night with good transparency and observe the planet when it's high in the sky - well away from thicker atmosphere at the horizon.

A better quality 5mm eyepiece might help, which would give you 140x magnification, or a 10mm and a good 2x barlow. The eyepieces that come with most scopes are usually doubtful quality and are only there to get you going out of the box. Even if you do upgrade your eyepieces though - be aware that Jupiter will still wobble - it'll just be wobbling more clearly. Hth :)

The erecting EP will give you a normal view through it. i.e. North will be north, south will be south, and east and west will be east and west. With the non erecting EPs the views will be reversed. I.e. East will show west, and vice versa.

The higher the magnification you go Jupiter will appear wobbly, except as brantuck said when the sky is steady, which mostly it isn't. Regardless of how much you pay for an EP this will always be the case. The contrast and the colours may be much better in a more expensive EP, but the wobble will still remain alas. Observe Jupiter and any other planets over a extended time period, and you should be able to observe some wobble free moments. :) 

Archived