Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Neil W

My Micro Observatory...so far

Here are some images of the project so far. I have used a Keter 'store it out Max' - the idea being that from the outside it looks like where we keep the kids bikes or the mower. 

Inside I keep me baby....130mm reflector. I have set the tripod so that when I place two tripod legs up against the bottom of the floor it is aligned.

Other features include a mirror image moon map, a plastic 'sleeve' where I keep my planisphere when observing, a little stool on which I place my tray of eye pieces and a red cycle light I can use to see when setting things up.

I'm still planning some more mods....maybe a fold out table and a cup holder - oh and I want to think of a name for the observatory too!IMAG0249.thumb.jpg.0e0dde6e9ca71a478ce10IMAG0250.thumb.jpg.9537930b7c995ec829007IMAG0252.thumb.jpg.a5a5374d7eb69ab6514ce

IMAG0251.jpgIMAG0253.thumb.jpg.1878dc3ac67f8534f4a5e

Edited by Neil W
  • Like 5

Micro* ,nice but loose that plastic sheet that will trap moisture but its a great idea 

pat

• Like 1

As said lose the plastic sheet. Try a bit of breathable membrane.

Derek

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Physopto said:

As said lose the plastic sheet. Try a bit of breathable membrane.

Derek

Is there something you would recommend...a blanket perhaps? Many thanks for the advice...for me this is a very new hobby - so every day is a school day!

You can get an off cut of builders breathable house membrane, or possibly a bit of breathable fabric like an outside table cover. Have a look on eBay or in Halfords. I am sure there will be others with ideas.

Derek

• Like 1