Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Callisto Shadow transit

Blazar

So Wednesday night was a bit hit & miss. I went out to try and do a little lunar imaging, but the skies were awful. I knew transparency was meant to be shocking, but this was in a whole new league. I had not let the scope cool properly and wanted to grab a few shots to see if the skies were really that bad....and yup...they were. I had heard the jet stream was going to move off sometime before midnight, so decided to sit outside and wait it out. every now and then I would run a quick capture, and run it thought AS2 to see if it was improving...then the clouds rolled in...They never mentioned the clouds.....so I did what we Brits do best...swore....made 'Tea'....ate a hobnob....and sat there....so around 11:15pm I noticed a slight change in the quality graphs....then they went off the chart. Not seen anything like it since last Aprils only two bar transparency night. The red channel stack allowed over 800 frames at over 80% quality....nuts! Anyway see below this is my take on the end of the Callisto shadow transit of Jupiter. This is the first one of the press, so I might revisit it all at some point. all three channels captured in OAcapture, stacked in AS2, de-rotated in WinJUPOS, processed in RS6 & PS5. Edge1100 scope, CGEMDX mount, ZWO120mm-s camera, Baader RGB filters, X2 barlow. Thanks for looking

2016-03-17-2341_7-SteveC-RGB2rs6ps5.png

Fine capture Steve and an interesting imaging report. I have seen big changes in imaging conditions over a few hours. Some have been due to local events, some down to altitude of object being imaged. But like you said sometimes the seeing just gets better or normally worse!

That is indeed a lovely image Steve. Plenty of detail and a lovely rendition of the transit.

Regards,

Ralph

Archived