Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Ewan

1st Light 152mm Technosky & Quark Chromosphere

I should really apologise for my lack of activity of late, work has taken it's toll, shooting now with my lad at weekends but above all the weather (same for most I guess) has been unforgiving. It's only now I can start to even attempt to image Sol as my house is not in an opportune position. Anyway that's enough whinging from me down to business.

I wasn't impressed at all by the images I caught Thursday, that was until I realised the seeing was terrible for most folks here & if anyone managed any good images well done you, I can only post one I was happy with, like Alexandra I binned the rest.

As topic, this was THE 1st outing for the 152mm & already I think I will benefit from acquiring a new imaging ccd, maybe a PG I think.

Going from my Altair 80mm APO to the 152 threw up a few surprises, I was not prepared at all for the change in settings needed to apply to Gain etc just to see Sol, let alone capture it. The DMK refused point blank to capture at max 60Fps instead I ended up opting for the next one @ 30Fps. I do not know enough about solar imaging as to why this would happen but I would hazard a guess maybe it's the amount of light getting to the chip or lack of it using the settings I was, any advice here would be great please. I am sure others have had the same issues (Alexandra I think).

Laptop is a very good Intel & USB 3 btw.

I had Gain at 50, FPS 30, Exp 1/154 & Gamma 50, advice from others on these settings would be appreciated as well to see if I am in the right ballpark.

No finder on the scope so locating the sun, even though it is huge, posed it's own problems but once found the view was fantastic !

The spicule detail alone was miles ahead of the 80mm on screen but does not seem to come out that well with processing, more attempts at this or a different technique required maybe.

The amount of detail around spots has improved drastically as well so all in all it seems to be a very viable Solar scope paired with the Quark.

I had to set the scope up outside as the size is an issue when negotiating doors but the weight is fine, no heavier than my C8 combo, glad I bought the 152mm Technosky..................you bet, if your in the market for a big solar rig maybe it should be on your list.

All I can do now is look forward to some better seeing, get the Quark on band next time (imaging time will get longer so more time to fiddle) & try to focus a little more.

Anyway if you got this far thanks & well done, hope I done the 152 some justice regardless of the terrible sky.

10%20A.png

Edited by Ewan
picture added
  • Like 9

A good start to the new season Ewan. Look forward to see what the 152 can do.

• Like 1

Welcome back Ewan that's a cracker to start with, more detail than I managed, I've only just been able to image he Sun for any length of time this week, need it to get above zero dec to clear the trees.

I'd like a big frac for solar but there are lot's of other things on my astro wish list :)

Dave

Ewen

Well done on getting a good image :)

Looking forward to see what the 152 can do.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Welcome back Ewan that's a cracker to start with, more detail than I managed, I've only just been able to image he Sun for any length of time this week, need it to get above zero dec to clear the trees.

I'd like a big frac for solar but there are lot's of other things on my astro wish list :)

Dave

The weathers been tough going Dave & like you restricted views to image your targets just add's to the frustration.

Nice picture, Ewen.

I recently bought an Altair Starwave 152 which looks very similar to the Technosky. Do you know whether or not these are the same scope under a different brand?

My Altair is fantastic with the Quark - there is no substitute for aperture in this game :wink:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DRT said:

Nice picture, Ewen.

I recently bought an Altair Starwave 152 which looks very similar to the Technosky. Do you know whether or not these are the same scope under a different brand?

My Altair is fantastic with the Quark - there is no substitute for aperture in this game :wink:

Nick is a friendly guy to deal with Derek & does give some good advice, I was going to wait for one of his to be available but the wife sourced me one from Astrograph.

9 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Lovely shot!

Thanks Michael, I really did not know what to expect as I have read similar threads & there Exp settings had changed dramatically as well, the preview screen appeared to suffer from lag as I guess it couldn't keep up with the 60Fps, a real shame as the DMK is more than capable for imaging. I will have to have a serious think now on which ccd.

7 minutes ago, Ewan said:

Thanks Michael, I really did not know what to expect as I have read similar threads & there Exp settings had changed dramatically as well, the preview screen appeared to suffer from lag as I guess it couldn't keep up with the 60Fps, a real shame as the DMK is more than capable for imaging. I will have to have a serious think now on which ccd.

I cannot recommend the ASI174MM enough. Superb camera. It does need a fast SSD to keep up. I got myself a 500GB Samsung T1, which is an external USB 3.0 SSD, that can keep up with the maximum USB 3.0 data rate (450MB/s or so). I can attach the ASI174MM to one USB 3.0 port, and the T1 to another, and reach 128FPS at full resolution readily.

38 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I cannot recommend the ASI174MM enough. Superb camera. It does need a fast SSD to keep up. I got myself a 500GB Samsung T1, which is an external USB 3.0 SSD, that can keep up with the maximum USB 3.0 data rate (450MB/s or so). I can attach the ASI174MM to one USB 3.0 port, and the T1 to another, and reach 128FPS at full resolution readily.

Great idea Michael, I am going to have a browse today if time allows.

Saved one more that seems a little better.

7_1.png

• Like 2

Simply stunning Ewan, as Derek said, no substitute for aperture.  This looks a very interesting scope.

The first one is my favorite, together with the two in colour, especially the one on the limb.

Your exposure times will have more to do with the ERF on the front than the aperture as I think both scopes are same F number so apart from the ERF they would have had the same exposure time.

I am still waiting for an opportunity to try my 102GT with the replacement Quark, it should be a step up on my 80mm.

Robin

Thanks guys much appreciated.

That's what I was figuring Robin, as you say ERF is the main difference.

Toss up between two ccd's BUT I think with no jet stream sitting above us the captures, even with the DMK618, will improve by a margin, let's hope anyway.

Thanks Paul, Chris.

Should have mentioned in the first place I used a 0.5 2" reducer for these captures so without the fov should be a little closer.