Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Pete Presland

Jupiter, Calisto + shadow transit 17.0.216

Following on from the previous successful imaging session at approx FL 5100mm, I was eager to get out there again!

Local conditions seemed very poor early on, but improved a little later on when this was taken. I seemed to be struggling to get any decent contrast using my usual settings, I did look a little hazy most of the time. So I decided to try a similar technique I use for my Solar imaging. This involves using a pretty low Gamma setting (30) and a high Gain setting (80) then I adjust the exposure to fill the histogram to around 70%.

Not sure what effect this would have in better clearer seeing conditions, but I think I will probably try it. Never completely satisfied as usual :confused2: but fairly pleased with the end result in the conditions.

C9.25/ASI120mm, RGB, 60 seconds per channel, stacked in A/S2, combined in C/S2.

56ec6227d0018_2016.03.1722.25Calistoshad

• Like 4

Great image Pete, love the moon position casting the shadow. I'd been struggling recently but Wednesday night put my  ASI120c on Firecapture into the SW 400 dob with 1.5 barlow and got 2000 frames, put through Autostakkert and Regisrax. Caught the double transit and GRS with Io (I think) just peeking round.I did try 2x and 3x but they weren't quite as good. Not got the delicate detail yours has but a step in the right direction- I normally use the Meade LX90 8" for this work.

1. conv_Jup_204215_castr_g3_b3_ap51 (2)rx resized.jpg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alanjgreen
      Just bagged 10 minutes between the clouds and got to see the Mercury shadow transit!
      Its so long since I used the Lunt that I took a few seconds to get back into the groove of tuning the double stack and letting some air into the tuner as it was flat.
      Not much else on the disc - 3 x sets of proms, 3 tiny filaments, saw one small bright flux patch briefly.
      But the Mercury shadow was nice and clear and a decent sized patch too.
      Just got back inside before it started spotting with rain! Fingers crossed for another clear patch later ...
      Alan
    • By ian61
      We are hoping to observe the transit in school (Don’t panic - we have done several transits and partial eclipses in the past so we are fine on the safety aspects - thanks). However does anyone know how I can get hold of some links to use in advance of the day that we can use to put some professional feeds up on the large screen tellies we have linked up to the computer systems these days – I am told that links on YouTube are the easiest to handle on the slightly clunky system we have to control them.
      My question comes from reminiscing with colleges that my daughter and I had stayed up to watch first contact of the last transit of Venus live from Hawaii before swapping to Mt Wilson. (We were also up before dawn on top of the local hill fort as the sun rose having lugged an old 4” reflector up there.) Of course at the time we were just browsing through the internet not taking good note of sites we were on.
    • By jambouk
      We are running a session at my local society on transits and occultations. One station will focus on exoplanet transits, and we'd like to build a very simple model to demonstrate this. We have a star (light source) and an orbiting "planet" but I need to work out how to detect the changes in light intensity and display this on a laptop, like a classical transit photometry trace below (taken from https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/tess/primary-science.html).
      Is there a way to take a feed from a DSLR through the USB output to do this, else I could get an adapter for my ZWO and put an EOS lens on the front of that. I really do want a light intensity vs time trace in real time on the laptop. This model will be run in a darkened room.
      Thanks for any comments.
      James

• By Piero
      I'm currently on my annual leave in Italy and the sky has been clear all day with no air turbulence.
      The telescope is out - of course - and I managed a session before dinner.
      I thought about sharing some photos taken with my phone and a couple of sketches.

• By MarsG76
      Jupiter imaged on 17 August 2019 using a C8 SCT, Skyris 618C at f33.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.