SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter, Calisto + shadow transit 17.0.216

Pete Presland

Following on from the previous successful imaging session at approx FL 5100mm, I was eager to get out there again!

Local conditions seemed very poor early on, but improved a little later on when this was taken. I seemed to be struggling to get any decent contrast using my usual settings, I did look a little hazy most of the time. So I decided to try a similar technique I use for my Solar imaging. This involves using a pretty low Gamma setting (30) and a high Gain setting (80) then I adjust the exposure to fill the histogram to around 70%.

Not sure what effect this would have in better clearer seeing conditions, but I think I will probably try it. Never completely satisfied as usual :confused2: but fairly pleased with the end result in the conditions.

C9.25/ASI120mm, RGB, 60 seconds per channel, stacked in A/S2, combined in C/S2.

56ec6227d0018_2016.03.1722.25Calistoshad

Great image Pete, love the moon position casting the shadow. I'd been struggling recently but Wednesday night put my  ASI120c on Firecapture into the SW 400 dob with 1.5 barlow and got 2000 frames, put through Autostakkert and Regisrax. Caught the double transit and GRS with Io (I think) just peeking round.I did try 2x and 3x but they weren't quite as good. Not got the delicate detail yours has but a step in the right direction- I normally use the Meade LX90 8" for this work.

1. conv_Jup_204215_castr_g3_b3_ap51 (2)rx resized.jpg

Archived