Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mounting an ST80 to a Mak150

I am thinking of buying a Startravel 80 as a companion scope/ Superfinderscope / eventual guidescope for my Mak150 pro. I wonder if anyone has done this and can describe their mounting arrangement.

Peter.

Hmm... I guess this must sound like an unusual combination? The thinking behind it is something initially to give me a wider field of view to piggy back on the Mak, and possibly image with.

I will try a second question, Having had a go at imaging with the Mak/Dslr I discovered that the long focal length is probably responsible for the limited time I can track for without trailing, would a focal reducer help with this? I have seen one at Rother-Valley for £34, it is an Antares 0.5, if so, where does his fit in the optical train, do I fit it on my dslr T adaptor.

Peter.

Do you have a link to that focal reducer ? This one ? . This type of reducer is designed to screw onto the 1.25" nosepiece of either a camera or eyepiece. This one screws onto the visual back of the telescope. You might need the correct Synta MCT to SCT adapter to attach it to your 150 depending on the age of your telescope.

Thank you for replying Peter, I was beginning to wonder if it was a crazy question! The one I saw is the 1st link you have, I have read elsewhere that it won't give good results on a DSLR?

I see also that you are a Mak 150 owner, so you can appreciate my thought train on looking for a wide-field option.

Archived