Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter March 17-18th Very Good Seeing!

Space Cowboy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you have been working hard lately, and getting bitten by the UK weather. But your persistence has paid off. Your best so far, some lovely detail in that, and no doubt others you have in your piggy bank

look forward to seeing more. he who dares wins Rodney

Where did you find those conditions? It was pretty from the "Lawrence road" observatory last night :sad2: but it has been pretty decent lately to be honest :icon_biggrin:  That is an excellent end result especially considering you only had 3 alignment points.  Nice to see a Calisto transit as well!

Thanks Neil persistence pays off in the end! As you say the weather has been a plonker for several months. This time next year we will be.....struggling with Jupiter low down!

Cheers Pete the stars were flashing badly earlier in the evening and I was not expecting this!

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Over 3 hours of good seeing last night! Finally the atmospheric Gods have brought some gold!

This is a quick process (only 3 alignment points in as!2) :

56ec084d97a50_DRJup_000145_g4_ap3adc.png

Wow absolutely stunning I would love to get an Image even remotely close to that!

Great job Stuart, - really well done. I got so much data last night don't know where to start! Too busy at work now too so not getting any time to process. - Doh!

Lovely colours on that too, so glad seeings come a lot better!

Harvey

Thanks Martyn!

Here is the final image from that night taken at 1.34ut when Jupiter was down to 37 degrees. Wished I'd stayed out another 30 mins as at the time I though the images were deteriorating but this aint too shabby.

Jup_013444_g4_ap19 dr.png

On 18/03/2016 at 14:10, Space Cowboy said:

Over 3 hours of good seeing last night! Finally the atmospheric Gods have brought some gold!

This is a quick process (only 3 alignment points in as!2) :

What sort of number of alignment points do you find works best - and how big and where do you put them?

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

I normally use size 100 and let as!2 place them. Might try smaller APS on these as the seeing was good else they can cause cracking on poorer data.

Just saw these updates Lovely GRS Shot, can see how consistent the seeing was on the animation, very steady.

Emiil has said between 75 And above. But ive seen tests showing 50 compared to 100 with 50 doing better but 100 on the poles was working better, I am doing 50 but with a 100 on the edge, to help control edge noise. But with fine central details. FL may also play apart on any decision though.

Great work

Great going here Stuart and a nice capture of Callisto and it's shadow transit.   The seeing looked pretty stable and reasonable down at this end as well, but my data was very grainy and poor in comparison to what looked much worse seeing on the 14/15 - high level haze perhaps?

I gave up just as the shadow transit cleared the disc, but looking at your GRS capture, wish I'd stayed up longer :)

Hopefully we have a few more chances yet....

Hi Stuart, these are excellent images. I also imaged Jupiter on 17 March 16, the first time since last year (18 April 15), God has it really been 11 months - the weather here has been Rubbish for months. I was expecting (hoping?) better seeing, but that proved not to be the case (here in Surrey anyway) trying to capture the end of the Callisto transit. As a newbie to SGL I'm not sure what the correct form is for posting images on threads so I'll upload mine to separate thread rather than backing into yours.

18 hours ago, SnakeyJ said:

Great going here Stuart and a nice capture of Callisto and it's shadow transit.   The seeing looked pretty stable and reasonable down at this end as well, but my data was very grainy and poor in comparison to what looked much worse seeing on the 14/15 - high level haze perhaps?

I gave up just as the shadow transit cleared the disc, but looking at your GRS capture, wish I'd stayed up longer :)

Hopefully we have a few more chances yet....

Thanks Jake I reckon we had similar conditions. With hindsight my initial excitement at seeing such stable avis has been dampened by quite high levels of noise even on large stacks. There was thick fog at daybreak though at the time I didn't think trans was too bad.

Cheers Neil yes Emil always says don't go too small with planet aps.

Resonator my setup is 10" Dob with 3x tv+ADC & ASI224MC.

Thanks Geof its been a barren few months for planetary and this may be the last chance saloon for Jupiter when he drops low down next year.

Cheers Peter!

Archived