Jump to content

stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

Markarians and more.


Recommended Posts

This is a nice fit on the chip of the dual Tak 106/full frame and I did it a while back with Dave and Zoe (Gothastronomer.) Last week we had another night on it with Mr and Mrs Gnomus, though for some reason the backgrounds were a bit messy in that set. Combining the two shoots made for lovely deep data to play with and I already had a 'Markarian's only' at higher resolution from the TEC140 so I put the lot into the pot. Here we go. Stars were masked to hold them down relative to the galaxies. 

MARKARIANS%202016%20web.jpg

To show it full size on the new forum I'm not sure what to do so I'll post this and then edit, but the fun lies in cruising the full size version.

Edit. Click on the image and it will re-appear then there is a Full Size button lower left. Sorry but in the web version there is a good bit more noise and some stellar distortions which, oddly, don't appear in the TIFF. Ho hum, not a clue!

Olly

 

 

 

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 29
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a nice fit on the chip of the dual Tak 106/full frame and I did it a while back with Dave and Zoe (Gothastronomer.) Last week we had another night on it with Mr and Mrs Gnomus, though for some

Lovely image... its mind boggling trying to get your head around what you are seeing. How possibly can we be alone?

Thanks Olly, very reassuring and good to know - ageing galaxies turn yellow, not gray Göran

Yes, lovely!

And I am happy to see that your galaxies in the chain also have this yellowish colour. I thought I got something wrong in the colour balance in my recent attempt on it. Wonder why they have that colour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gorann said:

Yes, lovely!

And I am happy to see that your galaxies in the chain also have this yellowish colour. I thought I got something wrong in the colour balance in my recent attempt on it. Wonder why they have that colour.

I'm in a good position to tell you why. Old age!! :help: The ellipticals are made only of old, evolved stars. There is no formation of bright young blue stars in elliptical galaxies. But if you cruise the image close up you'll fine spirals with hot blue stars in their arms so I think we can believe in the colour balance, more or less.

Oh to be a hot young blue star!

Olly

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

Lovely image... its mind boggling trying to get your head around what you are seeing. How possibly can we be alone?

Agreed, I find it hard to believe that the universe is not teeming with life. If we had telescopes of sufficient power and/or cameras of sufficient sensitivity this field of view would be solid with galaxies behind the handful we see here.

Olly

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always love images of this region of sky and this shows if off beautifully. Some great detail in the individual galaxies also. 

It's a mind boggling thought that in virtually every patch of sky there is the equivalent of a Hubble deep field lurking behind what we can see and image ourselves!!!

Pete

Edited by theo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice image Olly.

We haven't had a proper chance to play with the data from last week at home yet as we were only back for 24 hours before setting off cross country to pick up the "new" Dob - our kids are convinced that we have both gone mad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

 

Edit. Click on the image and it will re-appear then there is a Full Size button lower left. Sorry but in the web version there is a good bit more noise and some stellar distortions which, oddly, don't appear in the TIFF. Ho hum, not a clue!

 

Try saving/posting it as a PNG. This should maintain the quality as it is a lossless* compression format.

 

*Unless you force it to be otherwise!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm in a good position to tell you why. Old age!! :help: The ellipticals are made only of old, evolved stars. There is no formation of bright young blue stars in elliptical galaxies. But if you cruise the image close up you'll fine spirals with hot blue stars in their arms so I think we can believe in the colour balance, more or less.

Oh to be a hot young blue star!

Olly

Lovely work Olly, gazed around the pic for ages,

I don't know if you hot, and your probably not blue

But your a bit of a Star on here :)

Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18 March 2016 at 14:20, happy-kat said:

There is so much to wander around, lovely cracking and makes you think.

Indeed.  I have had the good fortune of seeing the full size 16 bit version.  I think that I can see slightly more than 125 fuzzy blobs, stripes and patches.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.