Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the best single upgrade you've ever made to a setup?

iPeace

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AstroTortilla - its free and its brilliant.  The goto on my 10" LX200 is very hit and miss (mostly miss) so getting on faint targets with the narrow FOV after focussing my DSLR was a nightmare - I could literally spend hours failing to acquire some targets. AT plate solving gets me on target (centre of FOV) every time in just a few minutes.

Recently I bought a counterweight and extension bar for my mini giro mount, which I use with a photo tripod. Ok, it's trivial, but for the £30 cost, it not only balances everything out - it also acts as a really effective handle to control movement and smooth over any friction issues. So no, it's not the best upgrade I've made, but it's a contender in terms of 'bang per buck'. 

If I had to restrict it to one, it would be the Interstellarum atlas (is that an upgrade?).  I clicked with it straight away and it has helped me to hoover up faint stuff and get the best out of my dob.  I just couldn't get on as well with other paper atlases (except S&T pocket atlas for binocular viewing).

But looking at these answers I wonder whether a dabble with a RACI finder and a Telrad might be in order...

I've not had a telescope for long,  but after reading advice and comments on here, I decided to purchase a jumpstarter pack from Halfords to power my scope.  Well, including eyepieces, rdf and other accessories I'd have to say the power pack wins hands down.  It gives me hours of use rather than minutes and only takes a short time to charge back up compared to the time taken to recharge the batteries from the supplied battery pack to my mount.  The jumpstarter pack is so far the best thing I have added to my set up!

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 12:42, iPeace said:

Which single, specific upgrade - to any particular setup you've had - has made the most difference for you? .......

The acquisition of a Zeiss tracking mount for our Telementor;  love this little refractor.  :wub:

The only thing I have upgraded in my equipment are the Naglers T6 with the Delos. I am very happy with this change, but I would not call it best upgrade as the Naglers T6 I have are already very good and can show plenty of things out there. :) 

So, as a naughty learner :evil4:I will slightly change the question to provide my own answer. 

The best two things I have ever done since I started observing the sky are: 1) keeping a journal of my observations, and 2) the registration to an astro forum (..guess which one!). Eventually, these are the only two things which have been helping me to mature and gain more and more interest in this hobby.

Yes, kind of boring, but the Telrad, and probably the Wixey, opened up so much. The Telrad is almost forgotten about, but a nights observing would be less fruitful and more frustrating without one on either of the Dobs...

Archived